Opening DVD Chapters

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VlcNovice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Opening DVD Chapters

Postby VlcNovice » 09 Feb 2008 19:22

Hi there,

I'm posting this on the Windows specific board because when I searched for any answers it appeared to me that there may be subtle differences between Windows and UN*X wrt command line processing.

I'm trying to transcode single chapters of a DVD. Using the GUI, VLC tells me I should use something like "dvdsimple://D:@2,4" for the second title and fourth chapter of a DVD in drive D:. The same is suggested on http://www.videolan.org/doc/vlc-user-guide/en/ch04.html

However, while "vlc -vvv dvdsimple://E:@1" will start to play the first title of the DVD, "vlc -vvv dvdsimple://E:@1,1" will tell me in an Error window that "Unable to open 'dvdsimple://E:@1,1'".

I'm much more familiar with shell scripts under UN*X so I tried all kinds of escaping the comma, but without success.

Any hint or pointer very much appreciated; I'm using 0.8.6d.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Opening DVD Chapters

Postby VLC_help » 10 Feb 2008 13:22

There are better tools if you want to convert that chapter to another format (like Xvid AVI). AVIdemux should be a little easier.

dvdsimple://D:@2:4 should be the right one.

VlcNovice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VlcNovice » 10 Feb 2008 15:13

There are better tools if you want to convert that chapter to another format (like Xvid AVI). AVIdemux should be a little easier.
Oh! I didn't find better tools during my evaluation phase. Can you recommend something for generating H.264/mp4a/.mov, scaling and deinterlacing at the same time? And in which respect would the tool recommended by you be better than VLC?
dvdsimple://D:@2:4 should be the right one.
Indeed, thanks a lot... how do I tell the people in charge to correct the documentation? (I really could have noticed had I looked carefully at the Open dialogue, though...)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Feb 2008 15:17

AVIdemux and handbrake are quite easy tools for DVD -> MP4 (mov generation is quite problematic with free tools). For documentation it might be easier to use IRC or email.

VlcNovice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VlcNovice » 13 Feb 2008 10:26

AVIdemux and handbrake are quite easy tools for DVD -> MP4 (mov generation is quite problematic with free tools).
VLC does an excellent job here I'd say. The H.264 quality at moderate bitrates is excellent and I'm unaware of any compatibility issues so far.
For documentation it might be easier to use IRC or email.
Couldn't figure out whom to cantact and how, though, yet... :|

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”