OLPC XO-1 Build of VLC

*nix specific usage questions
swordwright
New Cone
New Cone

OLPC XO-1 Build of VLC

Postby swordwright » 22 Dec 2007 22:16

Hello! I am a (very) novice programmer with (very) little experience with *nix systems. I am wondering if any of the more adept of you here would be willing to package a vlc build for OLPC's xo-1 Sugar UI. From what I can gather, it should pretty much be the same version that Fedora uses, possibly needing an added file describing file associations and an added icon, all bundled into an 'xo' package. The description of how to do this (which was frankly beyond my comprehension) was in the OLPC wiki on the 'development' page, and a little more was on the 'hacking the OLPC' page that was linked to from the development page.

I have been a VLC fan for years and it seems that it would be a good fit for the XO laptop (laptop.org). Thanks to anyone with helpful ideas of how to do this!

kwizart
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: OLPC XO-1 Build of VLC

Postby kwizart » 24 Dec 2007 18:37

I would be interested in doing this (as the livna maintainer of vlc for Fedora)
I'm also an approved contributor for the fedora project...

But I wonder if i would be interesting to have vlc without live555 or ffmpeg as they are bundling patented code...
that's what prevent vlc to be added to the officials Fedora repository...

They might be alternative to them, like libnemesi or a gstreamer. but vlc cannot handle theses nowadays...

waterbug
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: OLPC XO-1 Build of VLC

Postby waterbug » 18 Nov 2008 23:24

Yes, a Sugarized VLC would be truly awesome. I installed VLC from the command line on my 5-year-old's XO, and I'm quite pleased with the video performance. But asking him to remember how to launch VLC is a bit much. Furthermore, the XO's OS-level GUI has a specific mechanism for application switching that doesn't play well with non-Sugarized apps. In other words, an app like VLC shows up as two faceless, nameless icons, and when you quit VLC one of these icons persists and won't go away.

There's a high-level description of what was done to partially Sugarize Firefox and also a low-level API description.

If someone will take this on, I'll make a donation to VLC right now!
Never refuse a breath mint.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”