Specific Questions on Overlay Useage

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Kupotek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Specific Questions on Overlay Useage

Postby Kupotek » 05 Oct 2007 12:28

I play a fullscreen game with friends.
I tend to play video in VLC overlayed, and what I do to get rid of the bordering of VLC is this:

1. vlc.bat which includes START "" /high "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"
2. settings > switch interface > skin 2
(this opens 2 windows: 1 odd white skin that's blank, and a borderless window with \
my video playing, and the title: Hardware YUV Overlay Directx Output.

Now here's where I run into trouble.

1. I have vlc set to "Always on Top" but I have to uncheck the setting (rightclick the video playing), and then recheck it again to make it function.

2. Once a video ends, even if there is something in the playlist, I have to shutdown vlc, and restart it from step 1 to create the borderless window again.

So how can I get vlc to actually always be on top, and secondly, default play videos in the YUV overlay setting, preferably without the skin 2 in the background?

Thanks for any help.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Re: Specific Questions on Overlay Useage

Postby CloudStalker » 08 Oct 2007 06:52

• (1) "Always on top" has some problems on the current version of VLC but may be fixed already in the development builds.
  • (2) It might be more effective if you do this through the Preferences (Preferences -> Video -> (scroll down) disable "Window decoration", save and restart the player.

Kupotek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Kupotek » 08 Oct 2007 09:22

Window Decoration has nothing to do with it.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 08 Oct 2007 10:59

Oh...well that's how I understood it because getting rid of the "Window decoration" is getting rid of the window border and I was thinking that this is what you wanted to accomplish. Sorry if I misunderstood your post. 8)

Kupotek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Kupotek » 08 Oct 2007 11:15

Maybe try repeating what I did so you can see the difference?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”