G5 Panther problems

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
billo
New Cone
New Cone

G5 Panther problems

Postby billo » 25 Nov 2003 02:37

I'm still having problems with VLC on my shiny new G5. When I start playing any VOB, it seems to crash the audio driver.

I found a bug in the bugzilla base, and saw this recent update:

------- Additional Comments From thedj@users.sourceforge.net 2003-11-23 09:13 -------
I have identified this issue.
You can bypass it by setting the number of the analog audio device in the preferences. It
appears that even stereo channel samples try to use the multichannel device, which is of
course incorrect. I'll try to fix it.
-------------------
But I don't get it... I can find no preference that allow me to set the "analog audio device number." Does this mean the VLC preferences or the Mac sound prefs? Any insight?

Thanks.

billo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby billo » 25 Nov 2003 02:44

I should add that VIDEOLAN FREAKING RULES.

It's so gratifying to discover good software like this.

Thanks VLC guys.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 25 Nov 2003 03:22

VLC Prefs

check advanced options

modules->audio output->coreaudio

Set "Audio device" to the number of the "builtin (analog)" device as it shows when you play a movie in the menu Audio->Audio Devices.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

billo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby billo » 27 Nov 2003 04:59

Works like a charm, thanks!

macyu

slightly related...

Postby macyu » 04 Nov 2004 07:01

VLC works well for the most part, but I recently got an external firewire audio interface (PreSonus Firepod) which works on coreaudio drivers. Now, it works better with VLC than MplayerOSX 2 since the latter has some sampling rate conversion problem. However, VLC doesn't recognize the two (out of 10) outputs on my Firepod as a stereo output, but just lists 10 mono channels. Therefore, I could only get mono out at anytime. Is there any way to select two mono channels and tell VLC to recognize it as a single stereo output?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 04 Nov 2004 13:30

No this is an issue with our audio output module, and apparantly noone knows how to fix it.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 04 Nov 2004 18:20

Ah.. I see.. I guess I'll have to look into how the Apple CoreAudio HAL works... so here's a different take at the question; is it possible for VLC to use an audio filter to separate the stereo track from the media to to mono's and we could initialize two Audio Devices?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”