No sound in movie, then whole computer!

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Impulse29

No sound in movie, then whole computer!

Postby Impulse29 » 23 Aug 2004 20:45

When I try to play certain movies, I get an error:
<quote> coreaudio: AudioStreamAddPropertyListener failed: [nope]
coreaudio: InitDevice failed </quote>

after that, no sound comes out of my comptuer until I restart. This happens everytime, and 2 movies have this problem so far.

My computer is a PowerMac G5...

Impulse29

Postby Impulse29 » 23 Aug 2004 20:48

I tried one of the nightly builds (not the most recent because it won't download), but the problem remains... I get a slightly different one though:
access_file: seeking too far
coreaudio: could not set the stream format: [!hog]
coreaudio: InitDevice failed
freetype: freetype-rel-font currenlty broken, FIXME

Postby Guest » 10 Sep 2004 17:44

This is clearly a problem with my computer as well. The most I know how to do is update my drivers! Everything is squeaky clean and new.

Video Lan will play dvd but the sound is sketchy then it cuts out...

I think you need to work this bug out and come out with a newer version of VLC OR post a sticky on HOW TO INSTALL OLDER VERSIONS OF VLC ON WINDOWS XP ECT.

Kat

Yeah...

Postby Kat » 29 Sep 2004 06:36

I've got a G5 too and the same thing keeps happening. This is most definitely not cool. I need my sound for studying Japanese-don't make it harder than it already is...

kempffc
New Cone
New Cone

No sound at all

Postby kempffc » 04 Oct 2004 15:36

I have the same problem with VLC player on NT4- I've got the video working but absoluteley no audio, and no error messages that I can find.
kempffc

kida101
New Cone
New Cone

Me Too

Postby kida101 » 04 Oct 2004 15:45

The same thing happens with me on my G5. I get an error message with certain avi files that says:

coreaduio: failed to find buffer size (nope)

Usually, I've been able to isolate this incident with files encoded with AC3 audio. However, my friend ran the same avi with VLC on his G4 labtop and it played perfectly, good audio and all. My friend says I may have installed something to mess up VLC. Please, please help since obviously I'm not alone.

kida101
New Cone
New Cone

Yo there is a possible solution

Postby kida101 » 04 Oct 2004 15:58

Search g5 in forums and you'll see others have had similar problems. One proposed solution, which worked for me, was

changing preferences:modules:audio output:coreaudio from -1 to 1.

try it out.

Piece.

kempffc
New Cone
New Cone

Absolutely no audio

Postby kempffc » 04 Oct 2004 16:07

Is that module setting available when loaded on Win NT4 ?- I can't seem to find it
Kempffc

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 04 Oct 2004 16:29

Not sure, but I think coreaudio is a Mac thing. On Windows, launch vlc, open settings --preferences. Under General settings is Audio. Check the Advanced options checkbox, and you'll see what can be adjusted (though I just use the defaults).

kempffc
New Cone
New Cone

Absolutely no audio

Postby kempffc » 04 Oct 2004 16:33

Thanks, yes I have looked in there but haven't a clue what should be changed, and the defaults aren't working for audio. Perhaps someone else out there has some Windows suggestions, I'd sure like to get this working if I can.
Kempffc

Re: Yo there is a possible solution

Postby Guest » 25 Oct 2004 05:32

Search g5 in forums and you'll see others have had similar problems. One proposed solution, which worked for me, was

changing preferences:modules:audio output:coreaudio from -1 to 1.

try it out.

Piece.
That worked for me, the problem always came up when I played AC3 audio. VLC would want to pump it through the Digital out S/PDIF

-Owl

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 25 Oct 2004 21:38

Kempffc --
Make sure you have the last DirectX available for your OS.

Then, open Settings -- Preferences. Go to General Settings -- Audio. Audio Output Module is the setting you want to try changing. Try selecting DirectX, see if that works. If it doesn't try WAV, or any other choices provided.

pretty much hosed here.

Postby Guest » 03 Dec 2004 05:26

Dual G5 2ghz, 10.3.6
VLC 0.8.1, though it started on 0.7.something. Upgrading didn't work.

No sound on the Mac now except for alerts and the volume keys. Tried the prefs thing and that didn't do anything. Looks like CoreAudio's hosed up and down, not just with VLC. Any way to rebuild it without having to do a complete system reinstall? That would not be very fun. I've got a lot of stuff on this machine I'd have to twiddle...

You want a crash log?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”