VOD and Control Seek

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
rv888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VOD and Control Seek

Postby rv888 » 26 Jul 2007 05:43

I've spent some time looking over this board as well as searching Google for any other leads.

Maybe I am wrong, but it doesn't seem that you can use VOD and control seek to rewind a video playing.

After initiating the vlc command, I telnet in and do the following to start the VOD:

new Test vod enabled
setup Test input testvideo.mpg

While the video is currently playing embedded in a web browser I want to "rewind" the video 25 seconds.

I add this to the telnet session

control Test seek -25s

But nothing happens, and the video continues to play like it had been.

Am I missing something here? Is this even how it's supposed to be working?

Thanks

Ryan

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VOD and Control Seek

Postby dionoea » 26 Jul 2007 10:19

The client seeks in VOD, not the server. You can seek in broadcast streams on the server.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

rv888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rv888 » 26 Jul 2007 18:20

Hmm, ok. I've seen posts mentioning "tricking" video. So I guess that's what this is for?

I have the basic plugin buttons start, stop, pause, and fullscreen. I've yet to see anything about how to rewind.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 26 Jul 2007 20:15

If you're using the plugin you'll need to add the buttons yourself. See http://people.videolan.org/~damienf/ for the latest plugin demo pages.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

rv888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rv888 » 01 Aug 2007 02:06

Thanks for this, it's really been enlightening.

I was wondering... the samples show you how to place a url into the MRL text box, press Go, and then the video loads just fine.

I've noticed, that if you instead try to set the video to just start playing on completion of the HTML page using the following code at the very bottom of the test page (see below) Firefox kicks out a "vlc.playlist has no properties" error and doesn't play anything. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Placed this just before the </body> tag:
<script>
doGo('http://urltovideo.com/video.mpg');
</script>

I've been attempting to rework the javascript code, and I've yet to find something that works. It seems this sample code needs the page to completely load and then either be initiated by a button or a link. If I try to just embed the url into the embed tags or object tags it will play, but will ignore all buttons.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

rv888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rv888 » 02 Aug 2007 07:48

I figured it out. I just needed to add the doGo process immediately after the init() command in the body onload.

That did the trick.

Return to “VLM”