PS3 problems. Unfiltered fullscreen video and 720p MKV probl

*nix specific usage questions
maciekish
New Cone
New Cone

PS3 problems. Unfiltered fullscreen video and 720p MKV probl

Postby maciekish » 23 Mar 2007 18:41

Hello!
Sorry if im posting in the worng scetion, im new here. Please more the thread if i misplaced it.

I tried playing a 480p XViD video.It plays ok in 100% zoom but if i choose fullscreen the video looks streched using "nearest-neighbour" i e its not fileter ad all and very blocky.

The other problem is playing 720p MKV encoded in x264. The audio plays fine but vlc shuts down after a few seconds saying that video was delayed by more than 5 seconds (computer too slow?). The video doesnt show at all.

Im using standard VLC settings, should i change video output mode or something? I saw someone in a flash movie playing 720p MKV in VLC on PS3. How do i do this?

Cheers
MS

thingonaspring
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thingonaspring » 28 Mar 2007 16:02

I'm experiencing simillar problems using VLC on my PS3.

I'm running gentoo with XFCE4, wxGTK and VLC compiled from emerge.
All video seems extremely blocky when sent to fullscreen, even when postprocessing is set to 6.
The same streams render nicely on XBMC or windows directshow.

Is it perhaps related to the cruddy video support in the PS3 linux environment? The only support allowed by sony at present is framebuffer, but even so it shouldn't be this bad I'm sure.

Likewise 720P playback is notsogreat. On my 1366x768 TV it is pixellated and very stoppy-starty. Amazingly, it's worse than XBMC does on xbox1 hardware. This makes me sad :-(

As far as I can tell, setting output to X11, XV, OPENGL (not even supported on ps3) has no effect. Perhaps this is part of, or a symptom of the problem.

Many thanks in advance for any clues provided.

[edit]
viewtopic.php?t=34120
This post suggests trying "xvideo" output as a cmd-line switch, I'll give it a go tonight and post the results.

Apparently the blockiness is caused by a lack of CPU power, particularly in fullscreen mode with X11 output. XVideo apparently lowers CPU use by a large factor so it might be the culprit.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Mar 2007 19:54

Well, we don't have used any PS3 in the team.
Try to disable postprocessing. Use xvideo output. Deactivate overlay.
Run vlc from command line with -vvv switch and tell us what you have found.
How did you compile ffmpeg ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

thingonaspring
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thingonaspring » 02 Apr 2007 10:53

Hi again, sorry its taken so long to reply.

I've managed to get the video to much better quality.

Re-emerging vlc with the "xvideo" use flag, then launching vlc with "-vout xvideo" makes alot of difference to the CPU use, allowing more time to clean up the image. The quality is still not ideal though, so I may well try to get SDL running as an output module too, just to check the difference.

The issue of "stoppy-starty" video was far easier to fix. I play media files from a server, mounted over SMB. Modifying the "file" access module to use a 2000ms cache (300ms is default) has really helped, giving much smoother playback.

>how did you compile ffmpeg?
>
To be honest I didn't really get involved in the process, I simply ran "emerge vlc", and the USE flags did the rest for me.

Many thanks for help and suggestions so far, I now have a happy media center.

By the way - has anyone noticed how good the PS3's optical audio output is? It easily beats the xbox1's optical output under xbmc, really impressive.

est. 1991
New Cone
New Cone

Postby est. 1991 » 16 Apr 2007 22:38

how do you watch videos on ps3. ive used a method which shows you how to control vlc on your ps3, but you cant see the video being played. the ps3 allows me to fast forward rewind etc, just cant wiew it from ps3. any help?
got a ps3 and want to join a clan. go to blindraven.net

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view ... 91#2998922 stream tv to psp using vlc, tvu and pmpvlc009. tutorial

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”