A simple server configuration?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
soundguy
New Cone
New Cone

A simple server configuration?

Postby soundguy » 19 Feb 2007 14:37

I'm trying to use VLx as a video server that streams a playlist. It looks like this is possible with a little work, but I'm having some trouble with the installation. VLS looked more appropriate for my application so I tried that first, but installation (from source) failed with a bunch of non-library-related errors. Looks like MAKE is all messed up.

Now I guess I have to use VLC, but I have no interest in DVD capabilties, TV card handling or any X-based graphical capabilities. I just want a simple, scriptable, command-line-driven streaming server that runs on CentOS 4.x

Is this possible? I tried installing the binaries with both Yum and RPM but got stuck in dependency hell with RPM demanding a bunch of irrelevant packages like X and Samba that I have no intention of installing on a commercial web server.

I'm trying to do it from source now, but there are a gazillion configuration options to deal with. Isn't there some simple, single-option way to configure it as a non-graphical server like VLS?

Why is VLS deprecated anyway? Seems like there would be a lot of call for a server-specific version. Lumping the server and client into the same application makes no sense to me and seems like it would be a lot more work to maintain...but maybe that's just me :)

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”