VLC banned by gg fansubs

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
FooBarWidget
New Cone
New Cone

VLC banned by gg fansubs

Postby FooBarWidget » 02 Feb 2007 10:57

gg fansubs, known for subbing the popular anime series Code Geass, has banned VLC. Some say that they're "deliberately attempting to break compatibility with VLC." gg fansubs confirmed this:
2. Yes, we sabotaged CG 15 not to play in VLC… we will continue to do so to every release after this as possible perhaps.
According to gg fansubs, they banned VLC because it doesn't support softsubs correctly. I quote:
Why no VLC?
We use softsubs for our releases. VLC can (and will) break softsubs very easily, and also doesn’t preserve subtitle styling. It strips all coding in the {} brackets, and will reveal whatever was in the {} brackets as normal text. Hence, we do not recommend using VLC. If you come to us telling us you were using VLC, we are probably going to ignore you, or at least tell you to quit using it…

(There are also some technical reasons against VLC that’re relevant to them encoder folks.)
Are there any plans to fix this?

rataime
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rataime » 02 Feb 2007 11:56

See viewtopic.php?t=31824

Those guys are morons, still.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Feb 2007 13:48

We are very sorry to see this, but we can't do anything about it. Except waiting for someone to enhance subtitles support.

And they NEVER tried to ask us or report any problem they had with VLC...
This seem to be a rather strange way of thinking, but well...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 02 Feb 2007 22:18

Another bunch of noobs who think they are sooooooo clever and important :roll:

I can't believe they are wasting time to do such stupid things...

We are very sorry to see this, but we can't do anything about it. Except waiting for someone to enhance subtitles support.

And they NEVER tried to ask us or report any problem they had with VLC...
This seem to be a rather strange way of thinking, but well...
VLC subtitle engine is known to be riddled with bugs and other issues. Some of the prominent ones being:
-
- Lack of subtitle location detection (This means that subtitle that are suppose to be showing at the same time overlaps each other)
- Does not correctly escape off {}
- Strips off .ass styling tags

The “exploit” that caused subtitles in CG15 to be unviewable in VLC is because there’s a bug within the subtitle engine in which if a word that is more then or equal to 50 characters is encased in braces, the entire line is not shown on screen.

Other more random bugs exist within the VLC subtitle engine and one of them off my mind is if a subtitle containing Japanese characters overlaps 2 or more English lines, the player would crash. This was observed to happen in one of the earlier episodes of Coyote Ragtime Show.

Considering that translation note tends to contain Japanese character, this is a fairly major issue.

Some of you claim that you like seeing the comments written in between braces, but there are a greater number of people who complains that we are not doing our “job” correctly, and leaving these junks all over the screen.

Some of you claim that you don’t mind seeing unstyled subtitle that overlaps, but there are a greater number of people who come yelling in our IRC channel/forums/etc… demanding that we make the subtitle look correct in VLC.

Plenty of you come screaming at us when an unforeseen bug in the VLC codebase caused the player to crash, calling us assholes among other things.

These and other factors make supporting VLC pretty much impossible and even after explanation, people are still convince that the fault lies at the video/encoder/format rather then the player that is attempting to read the video.

When you say the same thing over and over again, your temper tends to get the better of you when people attempts to challenge what has already been said and explained. Incidentally, that’s how our staff are feeling.

We have addressed these issues to the VLC developers before, but since their emphasis is not on subtitles, pretty much no changed has been done to the source code relating to subtitle rendering.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Feb 2007 23:21

Hey! These are the same people that recommend codec packs. So consider the source.

If you want to get a real laugh you should look at what they suggest when Windows Thumbnails crash Explorer. They also suggest that this is riddled with bugs and you shouldn't use it. So they show you how to shut down that section. But the real issue is the Haali system that is causing the crash and that's part of their recommended install. This issue is noted on Microsoft's website and offers a workable solution.

Adding comments in subtitles known to be a problem and then complaining about it is really childish and accomplishes nothing.

rataime
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rataime » 03 Feb 2007 00:57

I've nearly completed a patch to strip those {} comments, I'll sent it to the mailing list tomorrow (I've correctly understood the submission process, right ?:) )

Defiant00
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Defiant00 » 03 Feb 2007 04:54

I've also submitted a patch for this at this point...

So yeah, looks like it should be fixed and available soon :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Feb 2007 19:42

@rataime and Defiant00: If you have time / want to improve the overall subtitles support in VLC, please do so... We will welcome patches.

If needed, contact me.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”