Is transparency possible?

About usage, announcement and development of skins for VLC
calintz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Is transparency possible?

Postby calintz » 08 Jan 2007 09:35

I tried making this skin, however the transparent bits were black/gray instead of actually being transparent. Is it possible or am i messing something up somewhere?

Thanks

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 08 Jan 2007 13:04

I don't understand your question. What should have been transparent exactly in your picture? What should it look like? Did you set the transparency bits on the png (the jpg you sent is not useful at all for that matter)?
Could you also describe more precisely what you want to achieve?

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 08 Jan 2007 13:15

i'm assuming u want ur png to be transparent around the edges... or you want some semi-transparency... and whatnot... the problem u have is that the PNG u've saved is not 8 bit depth... save it in 8 bit... however... keep in mind u wont get semi-transparency with 8 bit...

if you insist on having the full blown 32/24 bit png... then you have to modify the preferences in VLC to allow for transparency... but keep in mind not everyone will have that option enabled by default.

- Asim

calintz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby calintz » 08 Jan 2007 20:05

ipkiss: Sorry, ill try explaining again.

Im trying to make a very minimalist skin. Its only going to be a semi-transparent border around the movie window. (As shown below)

However when I make the semi-transparent png's, then test out the skin, I get something like below. The semi-transparent areas just look dark gray instead of being semi-transparent

My question was, is it even possible to make the skin I want, or am I making a mistake somewhere in the skin creation which leads the the gray borders?

@$im: Yeh I need semi-transparent borders. I tried enabling the transparency option in the preferences, however it doesnt seem to fix it.
I took a look at my pngs, they are 8-bit, so I guess thats why its not working (since you claim 8-bit cannot handle semi-transparency). I can only change it to 16-bit in photoshop (the 32-bit option is grayed out). How can I turn them into 24/32 bit png's?

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 10 Jan 2007 08:52

I think we only support semi-transparency for layered images on the skin, but not for the "bottom layer" (with transparency of the window itself).
Activating the transparency in the preferences should work, but for the window as a whole, not just for the parts where you defined transparency in the png files.

Return to “Skins”