About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
shirker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows

Questions about streaming some file to my hard-disk

Postby shirker » 01 Jan 2007 23:54

Hello all after some time; please note that I've opened this same thread under the "VLC media player for Windows" section of The VideoLAN Forums (with a bit different title), since I wasn't sure which one is more appropriate.

You see, it's that I am currently having problems with playing online-video with Windows Media Player; for details see: Firefox and Windows Media Player problems (it's a thread that I've opened on Ars Technica forum), so I've decided to try it with VLC Player.

And since I am still on dial-up, I also want to stream the output to my hard-disk for later viewing. Therefore I choose Open Network Stream, then I check the Stream/Save (under Advanced options), and under Outputs section, tick/check File checkbox and choose my local directory "D:\Referent\Linkings\video.ws.asx" as the output location. But nomather what I try, it doesn't seem to work (sometimes I also checked "Play locally", but I can't even view it normally); although the "video.ws.asx" file is surely being written into the specified directory, however it seems that it's not in the "right format" (or whatever)

So I am curious: is there anything else that I should do, i.e. for instance what should I choose for "Encapsulation Method": MPEG TS (default) or Raw, then further, what are all those "Transcoding options" (related to codecs), should I set those too??

P.S. - I am trying to stream this particular stream/file: video.ws.asx (btw. it's a Saddam Hussein's execution video, so be warned that it's quite graphical), and I am running Windows XP/SP2 and attempting to stream it with the latest VLC 0.8.6.

regards, shirker
Check out my page at about.me if you want to know more about me! :)

Code: Select all

http://about.me/tadejp

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”