*Rips hair of of head*

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
DevilVega
New Cone
New Cone

*Rips hair of of head*

Postby DevilVega » 17 Dec 2006 22:17

Alright! I am without a doubt SERIOUSLY pissed off right now. Recently I downloaded this old show and they were all mkv files, so obviously I opened and played them using the VLC player. Most of the episodes worked out fine, but after awhile they've become INCREASINGLY ANNOYING! How you ask? I can't tell you the technical term since I've only been using this for a few months, but the problems I am having are basically freeze frames that skip forward to the subtitles only. Every 5-10 seconds the video stops for just about the same amount of time which I am getting very tired of. But this isn't the only problem. At times when I KNOW the subtitles are suppose to be on they'll not even show up after a few skipped frames.

VLC Version: 0.8.6
English
Windows XP (Package 2 if I remember)

And my computer should definitely be up to par with everything to run smoothly. It's worked fine for everything else I've used. I also do or should have the correct codecs installed. So please, PLEASE someone give me a little insight on what exactly is doing this? Oh, and my settings are on default as I usually keep them.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 17 Dec 2006 23:44

Well, you definitely should not do anymore hair tearing as you will probably need it later in life. :) Also it does no good to become pissed off at inanimate objects other that raise you blood pressure and that's not a good thing either. :wink:

VLC is self contained, using it's own libraries to decode media files and adding Windows codecs for Direct Show won't do anything.

One thing to keep in mind is, most all of the stuff floating round the Internet is NOT professionally done, but is done by people that do not understand the formats and containers they are working with. For example MKV (Matroska) is a container and the issues one may have using this is generally associated with the formats inside.

Press ctrl i and go to the advanced info... tab. Post that here. This is the formats is use.

It may also be worth noting if the format have changed in the middle of the series. Like where they were working (the formats in use) and where you began having problems (the formats in use). In Matroska you can do a H.264 HD format that may run fine on the original machine even when checked using a variety of players and not run well at all, on another slower machine. It is fairly common in the middle of an amine series for the person doing the encoding to try other formats or methods. The most recent is to improve the resolution without consideration that the higher resolution may not be playable by others due to CPU, Audio and or Video card restrictions that may cause timing issues or lockup the users machine. For some people making these videos the justification is that Microsoft is doing is with WMV and WVC1. Apple Computer is doing it with H.264. But the reality is, these people aren't in most cases professional either and have little or nothing to do with the making of commercial product. But both of these companies do provide usable samples to see what your equipment can handle :) along with recommendations for minimum system requirements for certain resolutions specific to their formats.

DevilVega
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DevilVega » 18 Dec 2006 00:18

Stream 0:
Codec: DX50
Language: und
Type: Video
Resolution: 704x528
Frame Rate: 29.970628

Stream 1:
Codec: mp4a
Language: English
Type: Audio
Channel: 8
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
AAC Extension: SBR

Stream 2:
Codec: mp4a
Language: Japanese
Type: Audio
Channel: 6
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz

Stream 3:
Codec: subt
Type: Subtitle

Stream 4:
Codec: subt
Type: Subtitle

----

This the info you were talking about?

P.S. - I checked the other information on other files and they pretty much said the same thing so I don't think they changed the formats in-between the series.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 18 Dec 2006 05:54

Hmm! DivX with AAC audio in a Matroska container. Ya! I can do that with the muxer. But I would be very hesitant about it playing in various players as I would tend to believe there may be timing issues and this is not an excepted combination. I would tend to believe this is anime as these are the people that like to play with others heads and try the unaccepted or unexpected (depending on how you want to think of it). On the other hand their favored player is MPC with the CCCP codec pack and it may work with this and nothing else.

It's also possible that the options for AAC audio was not correctly set in the muxer as Matroska warns about this. For example the AAC audio is LC instead of SBR, the muxer will throw an error no matter which it is for AAC and it's up to you to know what you did as to create an override or not. But improperly done will create a timing issue for players.

Yet another possibility is that the video is reported at 29.97 this is quite unusual for a rip (except for improper telecine in quite a few Japanese made videos) as most times a proper telecine will be a 3-2 pull down and the resulting video will be 23.976. However considering some files play and some don't my vote is for improper muxing of the AAC format as this scenario would lead to sound drift through the duration of the file. But this is also unusual about this series.

DevilVega
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DevilVega » 18 Dec 2006 10:16

Well, as you say this is working great under MPC, but it doesn't show any subtitle options when I'm sure there are some around. *scratches head*, confused indeed.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 18 Dec 2006 19:40

In order to use subs with MPC you need to turn on VMR7 or VMR9. You can also add Gabest's vsfilter.dll which is an activex that supports subs in most Direct Show players without changing the VMR.

Which episodes are you having issues with?

I have just spotted some of them and noticed that the encoder and muxer versions are changing through the series.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”