VLC disabling Windows power scheme?

Feature requests for VLC.
j01m3
New Cone
New Cone

VLC disabling Windows power scheme?

Postby j01m3 » 17 Dec 2006 21:58

Hello
I wonder if it's a setting I've missed, but every time I've used VLC I have to go into the Windows power saving settings and "re-enable" the power saving scheme in order to have my monitor shut down. I understand that you don't want this feature on while watching, but it's very annoying to have watched something, exit VLC and leave your computer, returning several hours later to find your screen still on. No other player does this, so why can't VLC "restore" the power scheme after usage?

yawne
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yawne » 20 Dec 2006 02:28

I also have this problem ( I have to reboot). However, it only started after I updated my drivers for my NVIDEA G-Force 6600 video card. I updated Videolan to the newest version after I discovered that my power scheme was not working with the older version of videolan. My power scheme doesn"t work with the new version either so I don't know whether it is a videolan, video driver, or setting problem ( in either or both) and I am lost.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 Dec 2006 07:53

I have known about this for some time and have been waiting for someone to confirm the issue before writing the trouble ticket.

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/923

SoBugMeNot
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC disabling Windows power scheme?

Postby SoBugMeNot » 21 Sep 2010 01:32

I understand that you don't want this feature on while watching
Not necessarily; I can think of at least two situations in which it is not desirable to turn off power-savings while running VLC:

(1) Watching a video in the background in the corner of the screen while doing other stuff. The power-saving functions won’t kick in anyway, so there’s no need to turn it off.

(2) Getting interrupted in the middle of a video for an unknown amount of time. You don’t want to quit the player and have to find the position again when you get back, or turn off the monitor if you end up coming back in a minute; you want to just press pause and have the monitor turn off if you take too long getting back.

There should definitely be an option in VLC to toggle the power-saving functions.Or even simpler than letting the user have to choose is to simply turn it off while the video is playing and turn it back on when the video is paused or stopped or VLC is quit.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”