Sending the Sony SNC-RZ25N back...

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
jclark
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Sending the Sony SNC-RZ25N back...

Postby jclark » 06 Oct 2006 23:18

While someone may have had better luck with the Sony SNC-RZ25N, I have not.

The listing of 'mpeg4' is pretty deceiving, in that it really is not well documented, and does not provide corresponding SDP info to have 'any' player accept the stream, other than Sony's supplied widgets.

The 'Developer' documentation just basically gives sufficient CGI/HTML scripts, a few java and activeX API's but in reality that seems to be just for the purpose of integrating the camera into a custom webpage, and definatly insufficient for creating custom applications.

The Sony 'support' was abysmal, and basically said there is really no information beyond the limited CGI/API. As an added note, the individual did not seem to be particularly enthusaistic about even refering me up the 'support' food chain.

I use 'support' in quotes, because other than talking to a real live person, there was no support to be had.

To contrast this, I received an equivalent Axis 214 PTZ camera, and within a few minutes had it streaming over my multiple relayed wireless test bed... no problems and the stream viewable by VLC as well as the Quicktime player. The only reason to use the Axis web pages was for the specific purpose of configuring the unit to my local network setup.

My basic, in 10 words or less review is

"The Sony SNC-RZ25N sucks, and support sucks even more".

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”