outlook express

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bece
New Cone
New Cone

outlook express

Postby bece » 25 Sep 2006 09:56

Wenn i try to start any movie file (avi, mpg, mov, etc..) from within outlook express i got the message (free(?) translated from Dutch)
"There is no program connected to this file. Make a connection in mapoptions from the configurationscreen. "
Bud, wenn i go to the configurationscreen/ mapoptions i can see that this connection exist.
Wenn i safe the file on the Harddisk and dubbelclick on it. VLC starts and plays the file correctly.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 25 Sep 2006 20:42

Deffo a file association problem, but I haven't used Outlook Express for ages.

Although you should NEVER open ANY file within OE :roll:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 26 Sep 2006 07:31

I think this was shut down for security reasons and may be in the settings for the program. In any event this is not a VLC problem. :)

conder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby conder » 29 Oct 2006 09:42

I have the same problem with my two computers running windows XP with service pack 2. I use outlook express 6. Other players like windows media player, realplayer, do not have this problem, so I don't think it is related to outlook express.

bece
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bece » 29 Oct 2006 11:08

I have the same problem with my two computers running windows XP with service pack 2. I use outlook express 6. Other players like windows media player, realplayer, do not have this problem, so I don't think it is related to outlook express.
Neder do i.
I think its in the settings of VLC?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 30 Oct 2006 01:22

This function also used to be available in Outlook as well as other MS Office programs. There are no setting in VLC that will effect this other than perhaps the assigned extensions that designate what player will be used for the task.

conder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby conder » 02 Nov 2006 22:14

I now believe it is a compatibility problem between outlook and VLC. I'm pritty sure microsoft is not planing to change outlook, because it is already compatible with realplayer and windows media player, so i now think our only hope is that a very smart computer programer is willing to make VLC compatible.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Nov 2006 23:21

Hmm! I think you must have missed an update somewhere along the line. Good for you! But my versions don't work period in this regard and when they did work it was dependent on who owned the extensions and not a setting somewhere. :P

One day I just happened to notice it didn't work anymore as I seldom get video email and of the ones I did get, was spam that I wouldn't open anyway. When I researched this on Microsoft's website it seems this feature was removed for security reasons. So what exactly is your point regarding VLC?

conder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby conder » 03 Nov 2006 04:25

I use version 0.8.5 so did i mis an update? My point is that realplayer works fine with outlook, just like windows media player. I can double click a video file in outlook and when realplayer or windows media player ownes the extention it works fine. When I give VLC the extention it is not playing a video file when I double click it in outlook. It wil play the video file if I drag the file out of outlook to my desk top and then double click it.

So to be short: outlook is configured right because when realplayer or windows media player own's the extention I can double click a video file within outlook. When I give VLC the extention, I can play the file by double clicking it on my desktop, but it don't work when I double click it within outlook.

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes

Launching VLC from Outlook

Postby Tappen » 03 Nov 2006 08:24

This may have something to do with the way VLC is handling command line arguments in Windows. The path to the temporary file that Outlook creates to launch a player is usually far down a directory tree with lots of spaces in the name, and VLC isn't the most robust in handling long command lines. I know I've written transcoding batch files that are correct, but end up with a } in the extension of the output file because VLC didn't quite terminate the name at the closing ".

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Launching VLC from Outlook

Postby DJ » 03 Nov 2006 09:26

This may have something to do with the way VLC is handling command line arguments in Windows. The path to the temporary file that Outlook creates to launch a player is usually far down a directory tree with lots of spaces in the name, and VLC isn't the most robust in handling long command lines. I know I've written transcoding batch files that are correct, but end up with a } in the extension of the output file because VLC didn't quite terminate the name at the closing ".
I realize that not many people here come from or remember a DOS world where the Syntax must be exact. One of the Devs pointed out here recently that VLC is more forgiving than most in this regard.

Spaces in path names and VLC not recognizing certain characters are only for some languages and every effort is being made to correct this.

What I don't understand about this thread is the desire to have something work the has been broken purposefully by Microsoft. On top of this the user believes VLC should fix this because he missed the revision and the feature seems to still work on this machine??? Why fix something that won't or can't work for anyone else??? This is of coarse assuming that it's broke in the first place.

BTW it takes two conformations of a problem before most of the Devs or Moderator will write the trouble ticket (bug report). I know I can't prove it one way or another on my machine cause it doesn't work for any player.

conder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby conder » 03 Nov 2006 11:30

...... the Syntax must be exact....... Spaces in path names and VLC not recognizing certain characters are only for some languages and every effort is being made to correct this.
I'm not into computer programing, so i don't know.
What I don't understand about this thread is the desire to have something work the has been broken purposefully by Microsoft.
Because realplayer and windows media player are working fine when they own the extention. So it can not be broken. or maybe realplayer and windows media player are much smarter than VLC and made a workarount? I personally can't believe this.

I open outlook express, I receive some video file's, from a good frent. I double click on one in outlook and the video file is played like I want it to. Exept when VLC owns the extention, in that case I get an error mesage.
On top of this the user believes VLC should fix this because he missed the revision and the feature seems to still work on this machine???
I use version 0.8.5. I checked the VLC site and I believe it is the last stable version.
Why fix something that won't or can't work for anyone else??? This is of coarse assuming that it's broke in the first place.
I own 2 machines with the same problem. Bece has started this discusion because he has the same problem. That make at least the two of us, right?

I think a lot of users with a configuration like I have (And I believe my configuration is very commen) who like to receive videofiles by mail can benefit. We only need a smart and frendly programer who has the time to fix this real and existing problem or tell us what settings need to be changed.
BTW it takes two conformations of a problem before most of the Devs or Moderator will write the trouble ticket (bug report).
Well: bece is the first, and I'm the secont. That make's two, right?
I know I can't prove it one way or another on my machine cause it doesn't work for any player.
maybe you need to install outlookexpress and maybe change some settings. In that way most non VLC players will work.

Tappen

Outlook Express

Postby Tappen » 03 Nov 2006 18:42

DJ, I don't think fixing this problem should in any way be a priority for the VLC devs. Using Outlook Express is an open invitation to malware writers so I don't have much sympathy there.

However, the problem is almost certainly Windows MIME-type handling, which is different from file extension matching: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/netw ... dling.asp

VLC doesn't install a MIME handler, so conder and bece will have to mess around with their registries a bit to get this to work, after they figure out the MIME type the attachment is marked as in their Outlook/Outlook Express.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 Nov 2006 19:04

Thanks for the post and I agree! VLC does not consider or use Mime types and this very well may be the issue here.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”