Audio issues, it skips weirdly

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
death734
New Cone
New Cone

Audio issues, it skips weirdly

Postby death734 » 28 Aug 2006 00:32

This is happening on both my laptop and my desktop computer (both with genuine windows xp, sp2) with the most recent vlc 0.8.5 (even after i re-downloaded and reinstalled it). but i had 0.8.5 for a little while before it happened. i even tried going back to 0.8.4 and it still did it.

the audio has a wierd skip to it every fraction of a second. sometimes it stops into the video file, but then its often out of sync.
this is only happening with VLC. everything else works fine (wmp, zoomplayer, media player classic, ect...) with the audio.
it doesn't matter what im playing .avi, .wmv, .mp3, .mp4, streaming audio, ect... it still does it.

here are some few second examples that are around 48-58kb. ignore that they sound high pitched with out bass. that was due to my recording method, just pay attention to the skips. just incase, Turn volume down before playing it
These are microphone recording that i did by putting the microphone up to the speaker and i played a file with vlc or wmp or zoom player
Blue.Collar.TV.S01E07.Sports.PDTV.XviD-LOL.avi with VLC (that sounds jerky)
Blue.Collar.TV.S01E07.Sports.PDTV.XviD-LOL.avi with windows media player (that sounds fine)
prison.break.s02e01.720p.hdtv.ac3.5.1.xvid-bamhd.avi with VLC (that sounds jerky)
GCN Radio stream with vlc BEST EXAMPLE. its not my connection, all audio is bad like that.

When i say something like "with vlc or wmp" at the end of the link, that means i recorded the speaker when it was playing with vlc or wmp

is anyone else having this problem, what should i do?
Last edited by death734 on 28 Aug 2006 23:20, edited 3 times in total.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Aug 2006 01:29

I tried all three, nothing skipped and no messages. Personally I think you should work on the sideband problem. The sound sucks and it's in mono.

death734
New Cone
New Cone

Postby death734 » 28 Aug 2006 02:01

I tried all three, nothing skipped and no messages. Personally I think you should work on the sideband problem. The sound sucks and it's in mono.
i know it sounds like crap, but thats just from the crappy recording (read what i said above about the examples). and who cares if its mono, thats what recordings are. the actualy video files (not these mp3 examples) have all the bass and clarity and stereo when i play them with my computer speakers. i said ignore those problems and focus on the skipping and jeryk sound stuff.

Listen to the gcn radio stream with vlc i just put up there. that is how other stuff i have sounds with vlc

but are you seriously telling me you didn't hear obvious jerky audio problems with the blue collar with vlc and prison break with vlc? the blue collar with vlc is the best example of how the audio is messed up with vlc

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Aug 2006 21:28

Sorry, listened several times to all, no problem listening or in Messages other than the crappy mono sound.

mltwitz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mltwitz » 28 Aug 2006 22:34

I have the exact same problem, however only on the VLC installation on my laptop. It works fine on my desktop PC. Sorry I can't be of much help to you but at least you and I now know, that this is not a problem unique to our system configuration.

Here is my post and a few suggestions, which all did not work for me, maybe for you...

viewtopic.php?t=20112&highlight=

death734
New Cone
New Cone

Postby death734 » 28 Aug 2006 23:14

Sorry, listened several times to all, no problem listening or in Messages other than the crappy mono sound.
i dont mean to be rude, but you either need to plug in your speakers or get a hearing aid.
yes they are mono, because i recorded it from my speakers with a microphone!!
there is no error messages because i recorded with my microphone that was against my speakers when i played it with VLC on my computer!
Heres an illustration picture if you dont understand

but are you screwing with me? you can bearly understand what they are saying in the gcn radio stream.
The blue collar i recorded when playing in VLC obviously sounds very different then the recording of blue collar i recorded when playing with wmp.

When i say something like with vlc or wmp at the end of the link, that means i recorded the speaker when it was playing with vlc or wmp

good to see someone knows what im talking about mltwitz. i see DJ just didn't get it in your post either.
so DJ listen THERE ARE NO ERROR MESSAGES! it just plays the audio badly

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Aug 2006 00:49

As I have been trying to say (but you are not listening), when there are NO ERROR MESSAGES! it just plays the audio badly, the problem is your hardware or drivers! :P

Ya! Rude! to say the least. You wanted an opinion and I gave you one. I have dealt with professional digital audio and video for 35 years and can hear things most people don't notice. But in your samples all I hear is very crappy mono audio. Very badly recorded I might add! :P

If you have tried the toggling the float32 option in preferences, audio directx or shutting down directx to use the older aout module (Win32 waveOut extension output) with no success the problem is very definitely your system. Namely the audio chip set or card and or drivers.
But even when these options do work the problem is still your drivers or audio card! :wink:

I also don't give a *** that so and so's player can play the files.

1. All the players you mentioned use the same codecs and are dshow players. VLC is not. Also FYI all codecs are not created equally as many use directx in different ways.

2. VLC is a packet based player designed to stream media files and is heavily dependent on your system being correct. For example the Sound Max chip set is most often the problem here as it is a cheep alternative to the real thing. It is very doubtful that VLC will ever be compatible with this chip set and there are a few others that just don't function correctly. But this does show up in other programs, not only VLC. :P Just not as consistently as VLC.
Last edited by DJ on 29 Aug 2006 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

death734
New Cone
New Cone

Postby death734 » 29 Aug 2006 01:20

thats the thing, the audio plays, but badly.
why dont you understand that I put a microphone up to my speakers and recorded the audio? look at the pic i posted. thats why the sound quality is bad. but it doesn't sound bassless when i play it with my speakers (it just sounds skipish and jerky) thats just how the microphone records it.

so 35 years in audio stuff.... and yet you write as if your dont even notice the fact that its skipping and jerky with the stuff recorded when vlc was playing, especially the gcn stream? the gcn stream recording sounded about the same while i was listening to it with my pc speakers. yet with any other player its fine.
its also happening on both my computer and newer laptop

who cares if its mono. plenty of stereo audio is just two channels (left and right) that sounds 100% the same so hence its mono. will it make you happen if i save the mono recordings in stereo?

But I did switch the audio output module to win43 waveout extension output and it now plays correctly.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Aug 2006 01:36

You are right I don't hear the skipping, all I hear is Crappy audio (more than 6% distortion, no frequency response, no dynamic range, noisy as hell and very badly recorded that isn't worth anything). Let alone to call it a sample of the problem. Perhaps that's what 35 years dealing with this teaches you. This does not change the reality, either yours or mine! :P

I had lots of trouble getting to the third sample and didn't want to write a reply to someone that could actually hear through this crap. If I had run across this randomly in a down load or anyplace else I wouldn't wait to throw it in the trash can. I have heard some bad guitar recordings and or miking techniques in my life but many of them did fit into the finished mix. Your samples hit a new low in my life for the word BAD!

But thanks for your response! Next time I will know better than to reply when my gut says not to! :lol:

death734
New Cone
New Cone

Postby death734 » 29 Aug 2006 02:12

so you really dont find anything wrong with the gcn stream other than the bad quality of the sound (which i already told you is because i recorder my cpu speakers with a microphone)? you dont notice that its jerky or skipping every half second like a really scratched cd?
Last edited by death734 on 29 Aug 2006 02:25, edited 1 time in total.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Aug 2006 02:24

If you are asking me If I went back and listened again! I didn't, can't, won't. You got my opinion after gritting my teeth and didn't wait to throw it in the trash. But if you ever decide to provide a sample again of some skipping or popping, provide the problem file not a recording of the problem that serves no purpose. Be it known that this problem is most noted in the mid to low frequencies without being familiar with the performance. Your samples were not adequate for this judgment and almost said so in my first response. But I really didn't want to go and listen to new samples so didn't say anything as I was afraid you might try to provide them. :P
Last edited by DJ on 29 Aug 2006 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

death734
New Cone
New Cone

Postby death734 » 29 Aug 2006 02:44

i wasn't going to make any new ones, just stating that the gcn one sounds horrible with the skipping and there is no way to say it sounds ok (unless you dont listen to it).
dont you notice that the blue collar with vlc one skips alot and the blue collar with wmp one doesn't skip at all?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Aug 2006 03:35

I didn't down load them or listen to them in order don't remember the names and don't care to remember them as they are only memorable by the way they were BAD, after listening to the first one really didn't want to listen any more.

What's the problem anyway you got your problem fixed. Your sound card is still the problem and yet you keep coming back here to hassle me.

Not even a thanks! :P Gees, the nerve of some people! :roll:

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Re: Audio issues, it skips weirdly

Postby DGMurdockIII » 08 Jul 2007 04:14

i get this too in internet radio

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”