The vlc cann't play file or use CPU 90%!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
chenvc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

The vlc cann't play file or use CPU 90%!

Postby chenvc » 27 Jun 2006 09:49

I use VLC-0.8.5 on WinXP sp2 and NVIDIA GeForce 6200. The vlc can play file very good! But the vlc cann't play file or use cpu 90% after play continuously 5 hours or more. And I use vlc-0.8.1 have no the matter.
Why???
chenvc

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Jun 2006 11:14

What is your Machine (CPU)?

What kind of CPU usage do you show playing a commercial DVD?

Both initially and after 5 or more hrs. of play if you want to express your point.

chenvc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby chenvc » 28 Jun 2006 04:29

What is your Machine (CPU)?

What kind of CPU usage do you show playing a commercial DVD?

Both initially and after 5 or more hrs. of play if you want to express your point.
The CPU is Intel Pentium III 633MHz and 256 MB memory. In the beginning play a mpeg1 file is using cpu about 10% but after 5 or more the cpu achieve 90%, and the mouse move very slowly.
chenvc

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2006 06:09

OK! I bite! How do you play a video for 5 or more hrs?

The video would need to be continuous as playlist or looping is would not work for this test. When VLC reaches the end of a Media file it releases everything IE directx, libraries, memory etc. When the video starts to play again the necessary components are reloaded. You can check messages within VLC that this happens every time you start or stop a file or the file reaches the end. In a commercial DVD or VCD the messages file should be quiet or no errors being shown. The CPU usage, assuming a modern video card and current version of directx, should be near 0 as VLC hands off the task to the video card through directx. This is unlike most other players. VLC does maintain a plugin cache to help speed the transition and this may be shut off in Preferences --> Advanced uncheck the box marked "Use a plugin cache" then press Save and close the player.

I would suggest that if this isn't happening for you there is another problem. Most likely with the system. A good place to start would be to see if another player (like MPC) does the same thing.

the13th

Postby the13th » 30 Jun 2006 20:03

I'm having the same problem.

I regulary watch the GIGA2 Stream (http://www.giga.de/2) and after like 3-5hours watching VLC just hangs up my whole machine.

btw. This doesn't happen with the 0.84

Postby Guest » 01 Jul 2006 08:04

When having problems like this it is always best to separate functions. In this case download the video and try playing it locally. The problem could be your Internet connection or one of the access modules for VLC, but without separating the functions we will never know. :lol:

Postby Guest » 01 Jul 2006 09:55

On a Pentium III 633MHz and 256 MB memory the CPU usage very well may be 90% as it rather depends on the format and resolution of the file an how much of the task can be handed off to your video card throught directx. :lol:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”