MBAFF interlace support

Feature requests for VLC.
dazed&confused
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

MBAFF interlace support

Postby dazed&confused » 12 May 2006 01:10

So, the BBC HD trial is using H.264 encoding and is aparantly MBAFF interlaced. It seems that only MainConcept / Elecard and Cyberlink AVC decoders work at the moment. VLC doesnt which leaves me unable to view them on a mac. Would be great to see some of the Planet Earth series!
Ta
Dazey

Postby Guest » 13 May 2006 17:01

Seconding this. MBAFF support would be awesome. The only decoders that I'm aware of that currently decode the BBC stream are Elecard and Cyberlink/PowerDVD, both of which are kinda slow.

MBAFF interlace support

Postby Guest » 20 May 2006 17:34

And another. Its driving me nuts that the BBC are going to broadcast the world cup in HD and I won't be able to watch !

tkernen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: nightly build
Operating System: Windows/Linux/Mac OS

Postby tkernen » 26 May 2006 15:20

Yet another request for MBAFF support. Please.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 26 May 2006 22:40

ffmpeg added support for this (i don't know if they commited it in trunk yet) a few days ago. It will be available in the next version of VLC.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

sd

Postby sd » 29 May 2006 12:55

here it is :
MBAFF VLC :D

Postby Guest » 29 May 2006 12:56

Cockroach

Postby Cockroach » 30 May 2006 02:33

When I try to play something, it shows the first frame, plays the sound then crashes??

Merrin

Postby Merrin » 30 May 2006 03:02

Try the daily build, it still stutters a lot for me (AMD64 4000+) but it works now.

Cockroach

Postby Cockroach » 30 May 2006 03:23

Sorry, On OS X with 2GHz G5. There is no newer version :(

bXn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bXn » 31 May 2006 15:05

Try the daily build, it still stutters a lot for me (AMD64 4000+) but it works now.
what kind of streams are you playing ?
BBC HD MPEG-4 streams ?

Merrin

Postby Merrin » 01 Jun 2006 01:33

Yeah, the Planet Earth h264 BBC HD Streams. So far the cyberlink decoder makes the best effort at it (manages about 20fps max so far for me), particularly if you use purevideo and a supported nvidia card (which I don't have unfortunately). I just hope that VLC gets better at it, as I hate mucking about with different players for different video types.

Merrin

Georgio

Postby Georgio » 01 Jun 2006 20:51

Just tried playing a clip with this from the BBC HD trial on my Dual Core Intel Mac Mini (1.6 GHz). The audio is ok but the video was virtually frozen 2 - 3 frames a minute. CPU utilisation was ~ 108% (of 200).

Georgio

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2006 17:46

Just tried playing a clip with this from the BBC HD trial on my Dual Core Intel Mac Mini (1.6 GHz). The audio is ok but the video was virtually frozen 2 - 3 frames a minute. CPU utilisation was ~ 108% (of 200).

Georgio
I tried it too, with my 3.0ghz northwood. Virutally frozen, though cpu utilization wasn't past 60%... I gues the inclusion of what's needed isn't entirely there yet. I'm glad I found this forum though. I was going senile trying to find out why NOTHING (nstantmedia with pure video, cyberlink, nero showtime, wmp etc.) will play these bbc clips. I can't wait for the newer coreAVC to come about (or VLC). That'll solve our problems, I HOPE!

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2006 17:49

Yeah, the Planet Earth h264 BBC HD Streams. So far the cyberlink decoder makes the best effort at it (manages about 20fps max so far for me), particularly if you use purevideo and a supported nvidia card (which I don't have unfortunately). I just hope that VLC gets better at it, as I hate mucking about with different players for different video types.

Merrin
eh? I thought pure video only supported mpeg2 (gpu acceleration). I have pure video and this sucker will not play. Though, I'm running a agp 6800. Do the newer cards support mpeg4 acceleration then?

tkernen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: nightly build
Operating System: Windows/Linux/Mac OS

Postby tkernen » 03 Jun 2006 17:58

eh? I thought pure video only supported mpeg2 (gpu acceleration). I have pure video and this sucker will not play. Though, I'm running a agp 6800. Do the newer cards support mpeg4 acceleration then?
Tested with PowerDVD 7 and the H.264 support for the ATI Radeon X1x00 series. Works for me, not perfect but I'm using a x1600 and those are "rated" for 720p, I would need a x1900 according to ATI for 1080i/p

Postby Guest » 03 Jun 2006 23:16

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html
from there you can Check what you NVIDIA card supports with purevideo.

VLC need DXVA support for HD streams !

Postby Guest » 06 Jun 2006 12:34

Dear all,
BBC, Free ... HD tests are bloming with the sports events. The Football WorldCup comming will certainly see the HD boom !

VLC-FreeHD test done on Rolland Garros, has shown that VLC is very power full but required a extremely powerfull machine to run a 1080i deinterlacing because no hardware acceleration is used :(

My request is to support DXVA so that hadware acceleration technologies like PureVideo for instance will be used when running VLC.

Doing so, we would also benefit from the all hardware features (like deinterlacing) that will be able to run on <3GHz processors.

This is a must do to have high quality for 1080i HD stream on today's machine IMHO.

Best Regards,
TM

Postby Guest » 06 Jun 2006 21:58

Again there are three problems, DXVA is Windows only and there ain't Windows only developers.
And purevideo is pay software. You can call NVIDIA how to get hardware acceleration and they try to headshot you with old riva tnt cards. If you somehow succesfully complete the operation do same for ATI.
Then post those API's or sourcecodes to net. You have something like 2 days to complete your work if you would like to watch first WC match from telly, assuming VLC dev could patch code in a day and you would download nightly build.

In reality, it ain't happening anytime soon, so please don't come here to whine about things that can't happen overnight.

Meanwhile you can try mplayer with
-vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts fast:skiploopfilter=all
commandline parameter.

Postby Guest » 06 Jul 2006 11:59

Merrin

webvan

Postby webvan » 08 Jul 2006 23:58

Been recording some raw BBCHD streams today directly on my Dreambox or via VLC but they just won't play via VLC or PowerDVD7 although a sample BBCHD sample I downloaded does. Anyone know if the BBC have changed the way they broadcast ?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 09 Jul 2006 00:06

VLC 0.8.5 might not be new enough to decode those. Try using this build instead: http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/video ... ng/freehd/
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

ConsultPlus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ConsultPlus » 23 Jul 2006 15:17

Seconding this. MBAFF support would be awesome. The only decoders that I'm aware of that currently decode the BBC stream are Elecard and Cyberlink/PowerDVD, both of which are kinda slow.
I ran PowerDVD and VLan: both run into trouble running BBC's 'Planet Earth'. Jumpy video and sound.

System: Videocard NVidia GeForce 6600GT. CPU AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8 Ghz). 1GB DDR-SDRAM memory. HD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM.

Anyone got a tip?

Postby Guest » 23 Jul 2006 18:10

CoreAVC
http://coreavc.corecodec.org/download.html
it ain't free thou...

kelman4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kelman4 » 20 Oct 2006 23:14

Any progress on this? I'm on a mac and there are no commercial MBAFF H264 decoders for macs as far as I can tell so MBAFF VLC is my only hope :o

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”