DVD navigation issues

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
gidds
New Cone
New Cone

DVD navigation issues

Postby gidds » 06 Apr 2004 06:09

I'm using VLC 0.7.1a on my G4 running Mac OS X 10.2.8 to play many DVDs, and I'm having various minor issues, many of which seem to come and go without being able to identify any particular triggers:
  • The 'jump back 10 seconds', 'jump forward 1 minute' &c functions sometimes don't work: ignored completely, or beep, or flicker but continue from the current position, or return to the start of the chapter.
  • Sometimes the playback seems to freeze for no apparent reason; occasionally it's spontaneous, but more often when I try to navigate with the jump functions, or dragging the position slider. The time indicator continues to count, but the video freezes on one frame, and there's no more audio. (It's not reading data from the DVD drive at that point, so I don't think it's caused by dirt on the disc or similar.)
  • Sometimes it seems to completely ignore my selection of title or chapter from the menu; the ticks in the menu change, but the same chapter keeps playing regardless.
  • Sometimes a DVD menu will go black -- I think it still responds to the same clicks, but the black screen makes it difficult.
  • And VLC does tend to crash for me quite a bit. I think it happens a lot more when I use the DVD menus (especially when moving between menus or titles), so I tend to turn them off and navigate manually. But even then I get occasional crashes. (Can I send any logs to anyone?)
And a few consistent issues:
  • The 'next' and 'previous' buttons and keys always return me to the start of the first title, instead of going to the next/last chapter or title as I expect. Is there any way to move between chapters from the keyboard?
  • When moving between titles, menus, &c, the video window vanishes and then reappears (losing any changes to position and size); is this really necessary?
  • And DVD menus play in silence, even when there should be sound with them.
Are any of these known issues? Needless to say, fixing them (or telling me what I'm doing wrong) would please me greatly :) I'd like to replace Apple's DVD Player completely, but it's not quite there yet.

While I'm here, a couple of related items for the wishlist:
  • It'd be nice if VLC could display the elapsed time, title number, and chapter number permanently in the corner of the screen -- in a small, unobtrusive manner -- especially when running fullscreen.
  • A 'return to DVD menu' function would be useful.
  • It'd be nice if you could enter a time value and have VLC jump straight to that time. (The slider is inaccurate on long titles, and I tend to avoid it anyway due to the occasional crashes.)
  • And it'd be nice to be have an 'autostart' function, so that inserting a DVD would automatically start up VLC and play the DVD. (I guess it'd be possible by writing an AppleScript to wrap a shell script passing in the right command-line options, but that'd be fiddly and might need hardcoding of device names &c...)
Thanks. And keep up the good work!

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 07 Apr 2004 03:16

All of these are known issues and known requests.
We just need to find someone willing to fix/implement it. Ergo, help us find more developers to tackle these issues on OSX.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

cmos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cmos » 09 Apr 2004 23:43

I have the same issues about menus management and navigation on WinXP pro ! :cry:
There is a real need for fixing these bugs, as the rest of this soft is excellent! :)

Please do something, I 'd like to drop my other players into the bin! :wink:

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”