How to output several files at once?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
soccer1748

How to output several files at once?

Postby soccer1748 » 09 Apr 2006 11:59

I have gotten several files that I would like to stream output (not sure if that correct) at once so I don't have to go in and load each individual file separately. I have a bunch of music videos that need to be converted to mp4 and I can't seem to find a quick way to do it with vlc. I have to do each one sepatately. Is there a way to select all of the files I would like converted and then just leave and come back and have like 30 files converted. Here is what i'm doing now. I'm going to file, open new file, selecting the file I want to convert by choosing browse, then I'm checking stream output, then choosing it's settings and checking file, then choosing destination, then changing encapsulations method to mp4, then transcoding video and audio I check and change them to mp4v and mp4v and choose my bitrate from there. Everytime I have to do all this for each seaparate file and I'm looking to do a batch of files. If anyone knows how to please let me know. Thanks for any help in advance.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Apr 2006 20:08

Using the command line and working out the first one, then creating a Windows shortcut with a replaceable parameter for the file name should allow a drag and drop operation. It would still be one file at a time but you would not need to keep entering the info. Please note the the output file would always have the same name so you are going to need to change the name in the output directory before starting the next file.

Another method that has been tried, is from a playlist, but if you are successful, it would end up as one big file and probably stop in playback after the first video ended.

Creating a batch file should also work using the command line interface, however you are going to need to enter the names of the files and names of the output files for each one.

aln
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby aln » 02 May 2006 17:41

I have a similar need, but my question is whether the transcoding always takes place in real time (that is, do we need 1 hour to convert a file with playing time of 1 hour?) or can it be done in batch mode if I don't need to see the video? Converting from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 takes only about 20% of processor time on my computer and it would be nice to transcode files at 4x the original speed. Is there any option to do this?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 02 May 2006 22:36

If you don't display the video or stream it, it will encode as fast as possible.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

aln
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby aln » 08 May 2006 11:46

Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”