Feature requests for VLC.
LeBucheron
New Cone
New Cone

Create/Save/Load an equalizer setting file

Postby LeBucheron » 08 Apr 2006 19:32

Hello!

Never thought about that? Maybe it's time. :lol:

In fact I'd prefer a standalone equalizer (sound card independant) for the master volume but since I use VLC to watch & listen everything ...

Onopoc
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Create/Save/Load an equalizer setting file

Postby Onopoc » 15 Dec 2008 06:12

+1 for the feature Create/Save/Load an equalizer setting.

Here are a few proposed idea for Create/Save/Load buttons. Hope this help.

raimo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby raimo » 15 Dec 2008 08:43

flybye88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flybye88 » 20 Dec 2008 21:52

I think the first of the three suggested solutions needs to be done (eh - yesterday!!) <grinn->

ron b.

nova-t
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nova-t » 24 Mar 2009 10:51

This kind of works now on 0.9.9 by doing a setting.
Audio->Filter : Tick checkbox "Equalizer with 10 band" to enable setting
Audio->Filter->Equalizer
It seems keep Preset to "Flat".
Specify gains for each of the 10 bands, in +-20 db range.
Example: "0 0 0 0 0 10 14 20 20 20" will add considerable treble boost (just for demo)
Global Gain is the equalizer overall gain factor, typically set to zero.
Press Save.
Next time you start VLC these preset settings are in effect BUT if you pop up
the graphical equalizer it shows a flat setting. You can check/uncheck a box in this UI to enable/disable your custom preset, but the actual custom setting is not reflected by the graphical equalizer bars.
I don't know if this is a bug or intended feature ?
Well not that bad anyway.
Best would be to allow the user to create own named presets that can selected from the graphical UI.

Also on the RC2 (nightly) build I tested the file type .mp3 is not listed when selecting a file from your drive, you have to select "all files" to have mp3 listed.

Keep up the good work !

jetdog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jetdog » 07 Jun 2009 00:16

The feature you've described is actually what sets the default equalizer preset upon startup.

Basically, you can tell vlc to load with any of the built-in presets via the equalizer setting in preferences (via the drop-down), OR, you can tell it to load with your own equalizer bands, independent of any preset name. While this doesn't replace the configuration for what a 'Flat' preset looks like or what any other default preset looks like for that matter, what it does do is give you the opportunity to load with band settings other than a straight, default 'Flat'. Changing the preset after that will just put your current bands to whichever preset you select, from the default presets.

On a side note, when you mentioned that the equalizer GUI doesn't reflect the current state of the equalizer default upon load, there are currently some problems in the qt4 GUI for the equalizer, which we're ironing out as we approach the 1.0 release. I have seen some improvements, although there's still some progress to be made.

(If you don't believe me, well, the default presets are actually currently all constants in memory, so there isn't the slightest way in the current git tree to change them, via anywhere in the vlc program)

On a positive note, I have been working with (or more-so harassing :D ) j-b to help me work with VLC's modules. I have working source code for dynamic presets that is still underway, functional in some respects without full GUI support - so loading from files, little bit of saving, etc. This feature has been requested for more than 4 years, and it's my intention to modify the back end of the equalizer code to support this. It's a little yucky considering their current implementation, but not impossible. I look forward to finishing it.

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 07 Jun 2009 14:36

I requested this already (equalizer preset saving and loading)

... I was tolding the feature will be coming in the future. I predict in a 1.1 releasebut ya never know
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

plantain_chip
New Cone
New Cone

Postby plantain_chip » 27 Jul 2009 18:37

+1 for the save EQ feature. It's huge for me because my speakers can handle a lot more bass than a flat EQ setting and I would like to just be able to play music without tweaking it each time. Even iTunes has this feature and that is just sad.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 30 Jul 2009 04:13

This is the Equalizer plugin for some Linux media player called Exaile - it has open/saving of custom eq. But my only hope for VLC, when this same feature get's implemented, is for the filename of the user's custom eq file to display on the interface - in the same drop-down display where the pre presets are.
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Jul 2009 10:02

Does it save it in different files or?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

canoli99
New Cone
New Cone

Postby canoli99 » 01 Aug 2009 23:34

Just want to add my voice to this request - it's a biggie for me.

somebody had a good suggestion, which I'll restate - let's make sure we can name the preset and that it appears as a choice in the same drop-down window as the native presets.
hopefully there will be no limit on the number of user presets, and we can tailor them for various audio/video feeds.

this one "little" feature will make the VLC experience 1000% better for me.

Thank you All! Great app and it's only getting better...

Arfyness
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6e Janus
Operating System: Linux: Ubuntu 8.04.1

Postby Arfyness » 04 Sep 2009 01:53

I could easily be thinking of something else, but didn't VLC used to AT LEAST re-load the last used EQ settings, whether preset or custom?

+1 from me for a Save/Load EQ settings, preferably saving this info to a file. This should be available as a command line option as well (specify EQ dB settings as string + save to file + load from file).

From the Ubuntu Jaunty repositories the version I have now exhibits (more than) these two buggy behaviors (multiverse, universe are both enabled, don't know if it matters.)

BUG 1 (intermittent on my system... sometimes they are not raised)
Start playing music, set EQ to "POP" preset, enable EQ, turn up last two high frequency sliders.
Stop playing music.
Start playing music, open EQ window.
Bug: The two changed sliders are still visibly raised, but the sound does not reflect this.
Notice also: Move a slider just slightly, and the sound matches the previous adjusted sound.

BUG 2
Go to preferences as show in the image, set to a preset, like POP.
Edit something, like change the last two from "-1.6 -1.6" to "4.2 10.8"
Start playing music, manually set EQ to "POP" preset, enable EQ, turn up last two high frequency sliders accordingly.
Close VLC
Open VLC (I do this with a URL specified for internet radio.)
Open EQ settings.
Notice EQ is still enabled, but FLAT preset is selected. (sometimes I get POP to show, but with last two at "-1.6 -1.6")
Go to preferences as shown in the image, verify settings are as you saved them. They are for me.

Also I have to keep setting "Show settings: All" even though Preferences > Show All > Interface > Show advanced options = checked.
This is really annoying as well. If I should be setting a different flag somewhere, please edify me.

Is there a bigger bug of certain settings not getting loaded from preferences when VLC is started?

--
Nate

Cyborg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cyborg » 18 Sep 2009 12:03

+1

I would love to have this feature in VLC.

Also, I think it should remember on/off setting and preset choice on next startup.

(With an improved graphical EQ the parametric EQ can go bye-bye)

halo_bone
New Cone
New Cone

Postby halo_bone » 27 Sep 2009 13:08

I can't believe this isn't a feature.

Seems to me 1.0 shouldn't be out yet :P .

systemloc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby systemloc » 05 Oct 2009 17:55

+1 for this.

Unfortunately, incomplete support of basic features is pretty standard for open source software. :(

BugMeNot2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BugMeNot2 » 14 Jun 2010 09:50

+ 1 for this
1st time here. I hate makings user-names just to post one thang on a forum. This is why I cam here trying to find a way to save equalizer setting. Am getting sick of have to stop the player after every time I open a mp3 and have to set the EQ to what I like. -1 for VLC for not making this in the 1st place. +1 for every other player know to men that has this but VLC

9w2pju
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 9w2pju » 07 Jul 2010 08:06

i have adjusted equalizer suitable for my use.
when i close vlc, and reopen. it shows default equalizer setting.
this is very annoying..

|TG-31st|Napoleon_B
New Cone
New Cone

Postby |TG-31st|Napoleon_B » 28 Jul 2010 18:52

I use a variety of different headphones and earbuds, depending on what I'm doing, and each of them have a different soundstage. The lack of a save feature is the only reason I'm not using VLC as my only player. I hope you guys can implement a fix for this. Nothing beats hearing Opeth on a pair of Sennheiser 380 pros with a 10 band Graphic equalizer set properly. But I'd rater use windows media player with a saved EQ setting than have to reset it every time i open VLC. Other than that, VLC is the best player I've found.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 27 Aug 2010 20:06

I have never seen so many threads on the same subject. Seems to be a real need for this? :twisted:

Would someone please post the directory and file where the fixed equalizer settings are stored, so we can 'hack' it while we're waiting?

It seems this would be of interest to more than one person.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Aug 2010 17:17

Would someone please post the directory and file where the fixed equalizer settings are stored, so we can 'hack' it while we're waiting?
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=bl ... _presets.h;

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 30 Aug 2010 01:16

That's great, thanks! With the exact file name it shouldn't be too hard to find its location, for editing.

With programs where I can do this through the GUI, I find that once the equalizer is set for some situation, I rarely keep changing it. So adjusting the settings with a text editor shouldn't be too bad, while waiting. Anyway, it's a lot better than having to fiddle with the settings each time the player is opened.

Next, we have to figure out how to make the setting "sticky" from one session to the next. Any ideas?

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 30 Aug 2010 01:46

Help! Can't find the file. A search of the entire file system for equalizer_presets.h came up with nothing. I (think I) have show hidden files turned 'on'.

This is on v1.0.6 (Goldeneye).

This is the full path?
[vlc.git] / modules / audio_filter /

Thanks Ron

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 30 Aug 2010 02:02

Hmmm -- is this source code, or a plain-ASCII configuration file that may be easily modified?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Aug 2010 15:16

equalizer_presets.h is a source code file. Currently chosen EQ settings are stored to %appdata%\vlc\vlcrc (look up line [equalizer] # Equalizer with 10 bands)

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 30 Aug 2010 22:40

Sorry, I should have metioned this installation is in Ubuntu. A search of the entire file system didn't give any 'hits' for a folder named 'vlcrc', unfortunately. Could you give some suggestions for a similar path, in Ubuntu?
Last edited by MarEden on 03 Sep 2010 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”