Install WTF????

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
HaaRviK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Install WTF????

Postby HaaRviK » 30 Mar 2004 18:23

Why is it every single time I install this thing I get different library dependancy errors? I just did a fresh RH9 install with X, Gnome and KDE...yet when I try to install vlc I get:

error: Failed dependencies:
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4) is needed by mozilla-1.6-2
libXinerama.so.1 is needed by vlc-0.7.1-2
libasound.so.2 is needed by vlc-0.7.1-2

WTF??? My sound is working just fine, and I installed the development libraries as well as kernel libraries. What are the minimum requirements to have this GD thing install without freakin errors????????

ue

Postby ue » 03 Apr 2004 21:27

I am precisely in the same situation: RH9 and the same error message

the4runner
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Install WTF????

Postby the4runner » 03 Apr 2004 23:04

I'm facing the same problem too.
Could some one please help us?

I did a search for the libXinerama thing and I'm right now trying to download the rmp file from the linux rmpfind website.

But could someone elaborate on how to get rid of the other dependencies?

the4runner
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby the4runner » 04 Apr 2004 06:59

I managed to install it successfully...

Here's what I did..

For the libXinerama.so.1 error, do the following ( courtsey linuxquestions.org)
cd /usr/X11R6/lib
ld --whole-archive -share -o libXinerama.so.1 libXinerama.a
ln -s libXinerama.so.1 libXinerama.so
/sbin/ldconfig

after that restart your X.

Also, for the libasound.so library, you can install it using the alsa-lib rpm from the rpmfind site.

libc.so.6 will usually be installed in the system if you've got GLIBC libraries, but the vlc installer seems to be looking mainly for libs which have been installed using rpms. so, it keeps complaining about it.

so the best thing to do after all this is run the command:
rpm -Uvh vlc/* --nodeps.

its installs everything...no complaints :)

hope that helps someone...

:D

one42chrisp

Postby one42chrisp » 12 Apr 2004 02:04

Thanks for the tips from the4runner. I have it installed and running seemingly fine.

SaN

Postby SaN » 09 May 2004 21:44

i try to do that you say, but i had another problem: when i try

i had this message:
ld: no se puede abrir libXinerama.a: No existe el fichero o el directorio
(in english)
ld: cannot open libXinerama.a: Not exists the file or directory

what can i do now?? :oops:

SaN

LePsy666

Postby LePsy666 » 17 May 2004 11:11

Hello everybody,
Same problem, i've tried your procedure
I managed to install it successfully...
Here's what I did..

For the libXinerama.so.1 error, do the following ( courtsey linuxquestions.org)
cd /usr/X11R6/lib
ln -s libXinerama.so.1 libXinerama.so
/sbin/ldconfig

after that restart your X.
and it doesn't have any effect. Still the same error message :

[root@XXX vlc]# rpm -i * --force
warning: a52dec-0.7.4-5.fr.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b
[root@XXX vlc]#

what can I do ? :oops: thanks in advance ...

myersge1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby myersge1 » 22 May 2004 00:01

It appears that all the needed files are present but the 'rpm' can't figure out the dependencies. Therefore, I got it to work very easily by doing the following:

- Download and extract the vlc-binary and the redhat9-updates tars. A 'vlc' directory will be created and all their extracted files will go there.
- Manually create a second directory on the same level as vlc called 'vlc_peer'. Then move all of the vlc/moz* and vlc/vlc* files from the vlc to the vlc_peer directory.
- Run 'rpm -U vlc/*' to install most of the supporting packages.
- Run 'rpm -U vlc_peer/* --nodeps' to install mozilla and vlc.

The '--nodeps' is needed or the second rpm command will complain about needing the glibc-2.3.4 package. RH9 comes with glibc-2.3.2 which appears to work just fine with vlc-0.7.1.

Can the VLC authors out there tell us if we are losing any capabilities by not using GLIBC 2.3.4?

LePsy666

Still the same problème

Postby LePsy666 » 24 May 2004 08:24

[root@XXX vlc]# rpm -i peer/*

I have still the same problem. I don't really know a lot about Linux (I am a beginner) but isn't the problem located at the PATH :?: He may not find my libraries at the right place, how can I check and correct this problem (If there is one :? )

Thanks gu :? ys :wink:

LePsy666

Erratum...

Postby LePsy666 » 24 May 2004 08:34

:oops: :oops: :oops: Could we do like I haven't posted my previous message ? :P As you may have remark, I forgive in my command-line to type '--nodeps'
Now it works great !!!

Thanks a lot everybody ...

ravalox

Agreed

Postby ravalox » 24 May 2004 22:20

I have to admit to feeling that the install for VLC is somewhat excessive in linux. I downloaded all the things I needed and have spent the last week hunting down the dependencies of thos dependencies.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 25 May 2004 00:35

You should turn that around. You have found that dependencies in Linux are rather complex.
VLC makes a lot of use of external projects. That this makes it difficult to install, only shows a problem with Linux distro's.

(unlike other projects we do not import all the external sourcecode into our program. In our eyes it's a bad example of reuse of code and not the way a programmer should be required to distribute his program)

PS Debian and Gentoo are much better in this respect. RPM sucks.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 25 May 2004 17:08

Yeah, I think I'm really starting to see that.

myersge1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby myersge1 » 26 May 2004 17:42

The DJ - Do you know what GLIBC 2.3.4 provides for VideoLAN that is not in GLIBC 2.3.2 (that comes with RH9)? Thanks.

Postby Guest » 05 Jun 2004 20:38

I've been trying to get it installed on Fedora Core 1 and after several days I'm about to give up. I have tried everything I've read here in the forums, downloaded and installed tens of packages and seem to be getting farther away all the time.

Each package requires something else, which requires something else first, and on.
I finally tried the splitting into vlc and vlc_peer folders. Put all the mozilla and vlc files in the peer folder, but I still had to use the --nodeps switch on both. It appears to have installed but with about three screens of errors. I don't think it's working. Nothing showed up in my Gnome desktop, a "whereis" for vlc turns up nothing, so apparently I wouldn't know how to run it anyway, even after reading the guides.

I've been using yum to install everything as it takes care of all these dependencies, but the vlc site doesn't have any header files apparently so yum won't work. That would have made it real easy.

Does anyone know of another DVD player, something simple, that's all I want. Just play DVD's on my Linux box. Something I can actually install successfully?

I'm pretty new at this, if you purchase a package, such as a DVD player, are you definitely going to be able to get it running? Do the vendors provide a source for all the dependencies required for their package and help you through any problems? Some of the dependencies listed when the install fails I haven't been able to find. Other than in source format. And compiling the binaries is definitely beyond me. So I don't know any way to obtain some of the binaries vlc needs anyway.

Another question. All these packages that I've installed over the last few days, how to I get them back off? Or is it necessary, if they just take up disk space I don't care I've got plenty of that.

I would appreciate any opinions on a simple DVD player that I could get working.

Jim Nugent

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 06 Jun 2004 03:31

don't use crappy rpm based Linux distros.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 06 Jun 2004 05:21

I found two DVD players, Xine and MPlayer.

I just did a "yum install Xine" and it resolved all the dependencies, and downloaded and installed everything it needed.

In about 30 minutes time I was watching a DVD.

I then did a "yum install mplayer" and it downloaded and installed too.

I had already set up all the devices (1 cdrom, 1 dvd ) when I was trying to get vlc installed.

I'm not sure which I like best, both seem to work well at this point. MPlayer won't play in full screen, but has a great picture on my LCD monitor. Xine plays with full screen but did show a little motion blur during some close-up action scenes. Between the two I can play just about any format.

Just thought I'd let everyone know I got the problem taken care of, you won't have to listen to me rant anymore.

JIm

zan

Postby zan » 03 Jul 2004 15:28

hi! i managed to get VLC wking properly after trying out the commands i've seen here. BUT my mozilla seem to be disabled because of it. i was kinda annoyed cos i really preferred mozilla over konqueror. is there anyway to get both my mozilla and VLC working in harmony?? thanks!!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”