Question about VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
goldenvibe

Question about VLC

Postby goldenvibe » 04 Feb 2006 00:41

Hi everybody i wanted to know if VLC plays .iso files. Do i need extra downloads/updates? Thanks in advance.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 Feb 2006 01:14

I believe the answer is YES as long as the image contains a VCD or DVD image.

I was looking for a sample file to confirm in the latest 0.8.5 version but at the moment don't seem to have one on my HD. I have never used VLC to retrieve a DVD image but I'm told it is possible.

I still believe the best way to cover all contingencies with various image types is through a drive emulator like Alcohol 120%. Have been using this for some time now with great success and it gives me a way to cross check any problems with other players without having to burn a disk. This program is also a CD and DVD image burning tool and will copy a CD or DVD into an image.

:lol:

Critt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Critt » 04 Feb 2006 07:52

The answer is absolutely Yes.

In the beginning I didn't bother with DVD ISO's. Later, however, I experimented with the possibility of using them and I have not looked back.

Most of my collection is now stored as ISO files. For playback I can right-click any ISO and choose 'Open with' VLC, or just double click the file to launch my burn software.

If your ISO images are larger than 4GB you will need a file system that will accomodate them, like NTFS.

Give it a try. -- C. :wink:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”