Any Intel Betas/Testing Versions Available?

macOS specific usage questions
Galen

Any Intel Betas/Testing Versions Available?

Postby Galen » 29 Jan 2006 08:35

As the title says, is there a downloadable binary available for Intel, even just a beta/testing version? I have attempted to compile VLC for Mac OS X for Intel, always ending in non-recoverable failure, some sort of make-related error. I've bypassed the non-essential libraries, tried various recent versions, all without luck.

The latest version I've found available and working is here:
http://www.nextcube.org/board/bbs.php3? ... ew&id=1827

However, that's an svn version of 0.8.4, and it has a number of bothersome issues that are known fixed bugs since that version. It also exhibits a major problem whereby on my machine it malfunctions when using OpenGL video output... the colors are insane pink/green and pretty psychedelic. Cool if you want to simulate your video on LSD, not cool if you want to actually watch it. OpenGL typically offloads the YUV color conversion very efficiently, and for HDTV, CPU-based YUV color conversion is as big of a task as the MPEG-2 decoding, so the speedup really is significant.

Are there any development/testing/beta versions of a recent build of VLC for Intel? Or more recent directions for building VLC for Intel Macs? I'm really looking for something here...

krmathis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby krmathis » 29 Jan 2006 10:24

Why dont you search before asking? :roll:

There are at least 2-3 thread about this only on the first page...

Galen

Postby Galen » 29 Jan 2006 12:02

I did search... they all said either:

1) There is a version we're working and will have a final version coming soon. (Which implies, there may be a testing version built off recent sources available, or a testing patch file, or something.)

2) Here is a really old, version, way older than the one that I have now.

That is why I am specifically asking for a newer testing version. If it's relatively easy to put together as it sounds like it is, I am hoping someone has done it for a recent version.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 29 Jan 2006 16:51

Yes, and if everyone asks this EVERY day, then we have 30 postings a month. "We are working on it" usually means that it will take at least a couple of weeks.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 30 Jan 2006 00:06

We got video and audio working on the MacIntel : http://people.videolan.org/~dionoea/VLC_on_MacIntel.mp4

Hurray !!!!
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 30 Jan 2006 16:20

I'm posting a sample here now:
http://veda.student.utwente.nl/~hartman ... .5-svn.dmg

This is an intel version of the binary. It has an issue with both OpenGL and Quartz crashing atm. But perhaps the OpenGL works on the newer iMac. Won't hurt to try.

Several patches have been integrated atm.
I'm setting up the buildbot to create nightlies as well. Now we just have to find out why the OpenGL isn't working (Quartz doesn't work because our Quartz/QuickTime module isn't threadsafe and 10.4.4 doesn't like that).

DJ

alc0h0lic

what should I test then

Postby alc0h0lic » 31 Jan 2006 18:48

I don't understand what I should test with this build, I need Quartz or OpenGL for video output, both crash, so no video for me :(

Galen

Postby Galen » 31 Jan 2006 20:10

This is precisely what I was looking for... however, it doesn't display video properly as far as I can tell. I'm not whining, just noting, as getting my hands on some test builds is exactly what I wanted. The patch files posted here are much more usable:
http://www.nextcube.org/board/bbs.php3? ... ew&id=1827

OpenGL video output works, but the colors are screwed up (pink and green). Quartz video output works perfectly and the application is quite stable and has endured many hours of playback. However, I haven't had luck patching a more recent version of VLC... but I bet the well-informed VLC developers would find some of the guy's patches for video output useful?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 31 Jan 2006 20:22

Please continue discussion here:
viewtopic.php?t=16725

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”