Double subtitles when Converting

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
davew
New Cone
New Cone

Double subtitles when Converting

Postby davew » 12 Aug 2024 12:08

I have a DVD of a film that I want to convert to MP4. The DVD is in French and has both French and English subtitles. I can convert it without subtitles fine but if I include Subtitles in the conversion (from the Profiles settings tab), all I can do is turn Subtitles on in which case I get both the French and English subtitle tracks overlaid on each other. There is no option in the Profile tab to choose a particular language. I also tried various combinations of the Open Media > Disc > Audio & Subtitles > Subtitle track spin box but this had no effect.
If I just play the DVD from VLC then the main menu Subtitle lists the French and English subtitles and I can select and show just the one I want.

Is there a way to select a specific language track in Convert as there is in Playback?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Double subtitles when Converting

Postby Lotesdelere » 13 Aug 2024 10:34

Please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the conversion, keep the messages window open and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com or on Justpaste.it if it's too long.

davew
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davew » 13 Aug 2024 12:48

Log of a small (2min) conversion. This has Subtitles on in the Profile and the resulting mp4 has both English & French subtitles overlaid on each other.

https://pastebin.com/GqSQ9vMy

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 14 Aug 2024 12:34

Well, I don't know what is going wrong there. Maybe a dev will check this and explain it, fingers crossed.

davew
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davew » 14 Aug 2024 12:36

Thanks for looking!

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 14 Aug 2024 23:15

davew
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davew » 15 Aug 2024 10:34

Thanks for the pointer, that seems to have fixed it. I used the Convert Wizard with the added options :no-sout-all :sub-track=1

However the fact that you have to say "It is quite confusing for ordinary users using Converting wizard" implies to me that the Wizard has failed to do it's job. The whole point of a wizard is to remove possible confusion for ordinary users. In this case the Profile dialog that turns on no-sout-all really should have a dropdown that allows selection of all or a specific sub-track as is done in the main Subtitles menu.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”