Hollywood Plus & VLC

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
GiGa

Hollywood Plus & VLC

Postby GiGa » 02 Dec 2003 10:15

I have an old dualprocessors Pentium Pro 200, U2WSCSI, 256Mb, Matrox Millennium II, Realmagic Hollywood Plus as mpeg hardware decoder, Win2K.
With Hollywood Plus, I can view DVD, or other video, in full screen with a very good quality.
But, VLC stream is very slow with the Matrox card :(
Is it possible to force VLC to use the Hollywood Plus card for streaming (in a full screen and/or windows )?
Thank you

(sorry for my poor english...I'm from Italy)

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 02 Dec 2003 13:55

VLC currently does not support hardware decoders.
It could be done, but there would have to be a programmer who cared about that :)

(translates as: if you want it, you'll probably have to add support yourself)
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 03 Dec 2003 10:06

Thank you, DJ...
I'm not able to develop at this level :( ... and I don't have much time to spend to learn...
I use VLC on my laptop, it's very great! :o
In the meantime, I wait...
Bye

Postby Guest » 03 Dec 2003 11:16

My temporary solution...
I use DVD Station software (wich use hardware decoder) while VLC record a file .mpg. With DVD Station I read thi .mpg file. With a some seconds delay, I can see continuos stream with Hollywood Plus... To avoid file too large, I must restart VLC capturing... not a big problem...

ps: I use VLC to stream sat-video from DreamBox receiver via LAN... I love it :D

Bye

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 03 Dec 2003 11:46

Cool :D
People are starting to get real inventive with VLC.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

JN

Postby JN » 05 Dec 2003 15:46

Do you run a vlc port on the dreambox?
I did not manage to grab a stream from the dreambox and pipe it to vlc. vlc tries to seek something and breaks. Streaming a ts-file is no problem.
Any hints?

dsockt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Hollywood Plus DVD decoder & VLC

Postby dsockt » 09 Dec 2003 04:06

Maybe I'm not understanding you well, but you mean use VLC to output to the decoder board? (for TV-OUT and such?)

That's pretty easy if so using the #es module of vlc:

vlc -v dvdplay:/dev/dvd --sout '#duplicate{dst=display{novideo},dst="es{access_video=file,access_audio=dummy,mux_video=ps,mux_audio=dummy,url_video=/dev/em8300_mv-0}"}'

Uses the card to output video to my TV but uses my sound card for audio output (my choice)... Note I don't use the card in Overlay mode so I do not know how to enable it... (driver-specific option?)

The em8300* devices are present when using the drivers at http://dxr3.sourceforge.net (Linux/*BSD) - I know of no such way with Win 98/2k/XP...

dtsexpert
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Hollywood Plus DVD decoder & VLC

Postby dtsexpert » 03 Jan 2004 00:48

Hi,
I am very newbie here. I have a H+ card which I plan to use with VLC. Would you please be more specific of how it can be done. I have no experiences in linux. But my brother is. I set up my PC in Window 2000 as server which streams the stream via LAN just fine. My brother PC down stair in Linux as the client receives the stream just fine. I plan to install the H+ card on my brother PC (in linux) which will decode the stream and output audio/video to TV. He is on vacation now, so I would like to try although I don't know much about Linux. Your help is highly appreciated.
Regards,
Maybe I'm not understanding you well, but you mean use VLC to output to the decoder board? (for TV-OUT and such?)

That's pretty easy if so using the #es module of vlc:

vlc -v dvdplay:/dev/dvd --sout '#duplicate{dst=display{novideo},dst="es{access_video=file,access_audio=dummy,mux_video=ps,mux_audio=dummy,url_video=/dev/em8300_mv-0}"}'

Uses the card to output video to my TV but uses my sound card for audio output (my choice)... Note I don't use the card in Overlay mode so I do not know how to enable it... (driver-specific option?)

The em8300* devices are present when using the drivers at http://dxr3.sourceforge.net (Linux/*BSD) - I know of no such way with Win 98/2k/XP...

dsockt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dsockt » 03 Jan 2004 02:16

Hi,
I am very newbie here. I have a H+ card which I plan to use with VLC. Would you please be more specific of how it can be done. I have no experiences in linux. But my brother is. I set up my PC in Window 2000 as server which streams the stream via LAN just fine. My brother PC down stair in Linux as the client receives the stream just fine. I plan to install the H+ card on my brother PC (in linux) which will decode the stream and output audio/video to TV. He is on vacation now, so I would like to try although I don't know much about Linux. Your help is highly appreciated.
Well, for a newbie person to linux, learning how to retrieve, compile, and install software isn't something learned overnight... I would not like to be the guy that trashes your brother's box because I told you what *I* would do... unix people can be, well, picky? :?

Sorry partner, I'm not going to venture out into details on this. Unix code of ethics? (if that exists??)

Postby Guest » 03 Jan 2004 07:44

Thanks for your quick response. I thought that it was just simple as copying your code into notepade or something, then save the file to a directory under VLC...:-)
Anyway, it looks like I need to wait until he comes back. I will send him the link and let him handle this stuff..:-)
Window is easy to use, but it makes users like me know nothing when hard things come up.
Expect to see some posts from my brother if he has any question...:-), but one thing for sure you guys and him talk in the same language...:-)
Regards,

Hi,
Well, for a newbie person to linux, learning how to retrieve, compile, and install software isn't something learned overnight... I would not like to be the guy that trashes your brother's box because I told you what *I* would do... unix people can be, well, picky? :?

Sorry partner, I'm not going to venture out into details on this. Unix code of ethics? (if that exists??)

dtsexpert
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dtsexpert » 06 Jan 2004 09:34

Dsockt,
My brother successfully set up the Hollywood Plus using VLC, video out to TV, audio to sound card. The quality is nice. The problem is that the audio and video are out of sync.
Is there a way to force the Hollywood Plus to decode the audio as well?
Your help is highly appreciated.
Regards,

Hi,

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2004 22:26

Need help guys...:-)
My brother and I got stuck of how to set up the Hollywood card to decode both audio and video.
So far, the card outputs the video to Tv fine, but we have not succeeded to find a correct commandline to make the hollywood to output both audio and video.
Thanks in advance
Dsockt,
My brother successfully set up the Hollywood Plus using VLC, video out to TV, audio to sound card. The quality is nice. The problem is that the audio and video are out of sync.
Is there a way to force the Hollywood Plus to decode the audio as well?
Your help is highly appreciated.
Regards,

Hi,

sash
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sash » 09 Jan 2004 01:12

well if it is decoding the video I would think it should be decodeing the audio. did you connect the audio jump wire to the soundcard input? if not and you do not feel like taking your machine apart to see just plug into the audio out on the back of the card and see if audio is there.

but looking at the above lines

it looks like you are only providing the video mux to the card anyway. look up the proper commands and you should be able to get it to do both.

also I notice that you are using a ps mux , you should probably change it to ts since you are working with a transport stream any way and I do see that when you use a differ mux the the originall the video and audio becomes out of sync. well hopefully this helps you somewhat..

dtsexpert
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dtsexpert » 09 Jan 2004 02:35

Sash,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, you are right, using the commandline:

the video is decoded by the Hollywood, the audio is decoded by the VLC codec. We have tried:

vlc -v dvdplay:/dev/dvd --sout '#duplicate{dst=display{novideo},dst="es{access_video=file,access_audio=file,mux_video=ts,mux_audio=ts,url_video=/dev/em8300_mv-0,url_audio=/dev/em8300_ma-0}"}'

But no luck at all.
Letting the Hollywood decode the video and VLC codec decode the audio, audio and video are out of sync very bad. We did try the "desync" option but it did not fix the problem.
If anyone know the correct commandline to force the Hollowood card to decode both video and audio, please post it here.
Thanks in advance.

well if it is decoding the video I would think it should be decodeing the audio. did you connect the audio jump wire to the soundcard input? if not and you do not feel like taking your machine apart to see just plug into the audio out on the back of the card and see if audio is there.

it looks like you are only providing the video mux to the card anyway. look up the proper commands and you should be able to get it to do both.

also I notice that you are using a ps mux , you should probably change it to ts since you are working with a transport stream any way and I do see that when you use a differ mux the the originall the video and audio becomes out of sync. well hopefully this helps you somewhat..

Postby Guest » 09 Jan 2004 20:08

guys,
Updated: I use the VLC to record, then set up Mplayer to play the file. It works fine. Nice audio/video. Need to close and restart both players every 2 hours or so to delete the recorded file.
Is there any program which we can set the file bytes, so that when it reaches to the bytes setting, the program will automatically detele the file partially (like when you set the buffer using RAM)?
Regards,

Sash,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, you are right, using the commandline:

the video is decoded by the Hollywood, the audio is decoded by the VLC codec. We have tried:

vlc -v dvdplay:/dev/dvd --sout '#duplicate{dst=display{novideo},dst="es{access_video=file,access_audio=file,mux_video=ts,mux_audio=ts,url_video=/dev/em8300_mv-0,url_audio=/dev/em8300_ma-0}"}'

But no luck at all.
Letting the Hollywood decode the video and VLC codec decode the audio, audio and video are out of sync very bad. We did try the "desync" option but it did not fix the problem.
If anyone know the correct commandline to force the Hollowood card to decode both video and audio, please post it here.
Thanks in advance.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”