Problem with HDR on HDR screen

macOS specific usage questions
Bob169
New Cone
New Cone

Problem with HDR on HDR screen

Postby Bob169 » 11 Jun 2022 21:26

Hello,

I just downloaded the last version of VLC for Mac OS Monterey. (3.0.17.3) and tried to watch a film encoded in HEVC HDR10 but the film looks so dark. I have a MacBook Pro M1 pro with an HDR screen and it’s impossible to watch.

I did a lot of researches on the net and VLC says it’s now HDR compatible. But it’s not working on my Mac despite the screen.

Anyone had the same issue and know how to fix it?

Thanks!

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Problem with HDR on HDR screen

Postby fkuehne » 15 Jun 2022 12:20

We currently do not support HDR on macOS. This is a Windows-only feature for now. However, the problem you describe should not occur as VLC should convert to SDR on the fly which is not as pretty but make the video at least watchable. Can you give the color profile of the video you are trying to watch?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 15 Jun 2022 15:11

We currently do not support HDR on macOS. This is a Windows-only feature for now.
Just hope it will be spread on other OS soon. It will allow me to watch hdr movies on my galaxy S10.

Meanwhile, just keep up your amazing work.

Bob169
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bob169 » 16 Jun 2022 00:34

We currently do not support HDR on macOS. This is a Windows-only feature for now. However, the problem you describe should not occur as VLC should convert to SDR on the fly which is not as pretty but make the video at least watchable. Can you give the color profile of the video you are trying to watch?
Thanks for your answer. The film was in black and white so i don’t know how to give you the color profile…
But it was way too dark, especially when I compared it with a normal SDR version.

Hope the HDR fonction will come soon in VLC!

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”