VLC not finding or playing video files

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
adders963
New Cone
New Cone

VLC not finding or playing video files

Postby adders963 » 11 May 2022 13:43

VLC 3.4.4 on Samsung galaxy tab A8 - I have around 40 video files on SD card of mixed format (MP4, MKV & AVI). VLC has only discovered 16 of the files and at least one of each format (MP4, MKV or AVI). The files discovered and showing under video play no problem. I have also tried to play manually the files that have not been discovered but just get a black screen. All of the 40 files play OK on my VLC player on my iMAC. I have deleted and copied the files again to the SD card same 16 are discovered the rest not. I have deleted and re-installed the VLC player. I get the same on the Mixx Player so not sure if it is entirely a VLC issue but if anyone else has had this experience and has a solution please post.

jill_vlabs
Developer
Developer
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC not finding or playing video files

Postby jill_vlabs » 11 May 2022 15:09

Have you tried playing those file from the sd card on your mac? maybe the file got corrupted during copy

adders963
New Cone
New Cone

Postby adders963 » 11 May 2022 17:03

Hi Thanks for the response, I have been searching the web and found the same suggestion and yes it is the SD card with the issue (I had already deleted and re downloaded the files to the SD card) which didn't immediately spring to mind as about 30% of the files worked. Tested from the SD card on the MAC and same result as on the Tab, it picks up 16 of the 40 files. Reformatting the SD card now and trying again. Thanks again.

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Postby Spike1 » 14 May 2022 01:54

I had an old SD card on its last legs and the errors it caused were baffling! Lessons: (1) A new card is cheap. Time spent scratching your head (and replacing lost files) is expensive. (2) My device names include year put into service, and I replace old ones "for no reason," that is, before they create a reason! Good luck!

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”