Wasapi Exclusive mode?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
soupladel
New Cone
New Cone

Wasapi Exclusive mode?

Postby soupladel » 03 Jan 2022 03:36

I recently got myself a high end set of Headphone and a DAC but having issues with the fact windows want to upsample everything rather than play files at their correct bitrate.

I had read up on setting this up in VLC and have set the output to "Windows Multimedia Device", then within the setting for MMDevice i have set the output backend to "Windows Audio Session API Output"

I have also disabled the resampler, closed down and reopened VLC but when i try to play back a song, there is nothing, it shows as playing but there is not output to the DAC or headphones, any ideas where i might be going wrong in this scenario?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Wasapi Exclusive mode?

Postby Hitchhiker » 03 Jan 2022 12:08

Check your audio sample rate for DAC. See this post for more details:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 5&p=517427

soupladel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby soupladel » 03 Jan 2022 13:56

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not really the issue here as my DAC has no settings to change, however in windows i have it set to 24bit 192Khz.

In other Apps such as Foobar2000 or JRiver Media Center, playing back hi-res files using exclusive mode results in the file being played back at the correct rate. My DAC has no display but does have an LED which lights up to indicate when it is receiving Hi-res audio.

In either of these media players, playing back a file with a rate of 1086kb/s results in no light, 3416kb/s the light pings on. However playing back both of these files in VLC the light stays on which suggests it is not bypassing windows in a true exclusive mode as is the case with other media players.

I also have the same problem with Amazon Music which i have been able to determine is because it is not using a true exclusive mode

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 03 Jan 2022 15:20

There are some settings in the Advanced menu which you could experiment with. To open hit Ctrl + P to open preferences and then click the "All" radio button at the bottom next to the big Reset Preferences button.

In the menu which opens type: headphones in the search field top left anf then click Filters. Each of the filters in the right hand pane has a tooltip which explains what it does.

But this question concerning 24-bit / 192Hz has cropped up before without a resolution being found: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 3&p=523117

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 Jan 2022 21:12

Disabling the resampler in VLC will only break things, and at best, change nothing. VLC resamples when it is necessary, not just for fun. Also exclusive mode is not a question of bit rate, so you're not making much sense, TBH.

There is a flag for WASAPI exclusive mode in VLC preferences.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Sennheiserman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sennheiserman » 11 Jan 2023 15:56

hello
can you tell me where to find the option for wasapi exclusive mode

thx

mfessler
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mfessler » 28 Nov 2023 08:08

I have the same question... does VLC support WASAPI exclusive-mode streams?
Greetings, Martin

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 28 Nov 2023 16:09

Yes
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded