blu-ray insanity

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
fpefpe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

blu-ray insanity

Postby fpefpe » 27 Dec 2021 19:11

Hello --- for as far back as I can remember I don't generally view or rip Blu-ray discs ---- but today, I tried to play on via vlc

after starting vlc, I when to open disc -> selected Blu-ray then play --- and for the most part there was a screen full of errors --- I did some web search and came to libaacs in the vlc web site -- and downloaded a tar.bz2 file --- which turns out to be source code --- which at this point is useless for me ---

I found another website that had dll's for win32 and win64 version of vlc --- and then there was KEYDB.cfg file ---- one website said to put in the %programdata% folder the other said %appdata% or was it %localappdata% -- this is all madness

can't there be one place in vlc web site which is the definitive info on how to get vlc to play a Blu-ray disc without having to build dll's ??

I found a forum thread about Blu-ray discs which was 12 pages and goes back 10 years --- again madness

Simply, what do I need to do to get Blu-ray disc to play via vlc ---

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: blu-ray insanity

Postby Hitchhiker » 27 Dec 2021 21:04

It's a bit complicated due to copyright protections in Blu-Ray discs. Because vlc is an open source media player it doesn't include the libraries necessary to view the content.

However, some enterprising individuals on the Doom9 forum have found a means of legally circumventing those protections. Here's the link to the post which you need to follow to be able to view Blu-Ray discs on vlc:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924

fpefpe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fpefpe » 27 Dec 2021 22:29

thanks for the info --- I a bit concerned about editing the cfg file

fpefpe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fpefpe » 28 Dec 2021 01:02

Hello -- the noted link works, but I did have a problem --- first exactly what is edited in the cfg file ---- replace lines? add the "code" in the post to then end of the file?

the other issue is that after vlc start ups and start to play the disc, I get a message that "my player needs an update" --- not sure what that is since I was able to play the disc other software

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”