Open Capture Device - Elgato Video Capture

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
matses_51
New Cone
New Cone

Open Capture Device - Elgato Video Capture

Postby matses_51 » 16 Apr 2021 11:06

Hi,
I am trying to get live video feed from a camera using my Elgato Video Capture.
Operating system is Windows 10.

I can stream the video in Elgato own software "Video Capture" and OBS Studio.
But when I try and use "Open Capture Device..." In VLC, I get a lot of error messages.
I can open my webcamera using VLC and I have checked that "Allow apps to access your camera" are on for both Camera and Microphone under Privacy settings.

I have tried open it in VLC and adding the following text on VLC shortcut target:
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Elgato Video Capture" :dshow-adev="Elgato Video Capture" :dshow-size=640x480 :dshow-aspect-ratio=4:3 :dshow-audio-samplerate=48000 :dshow-audio-channels=2 :live-caching=0 :dshow-fps=30

From log:
-- logger module started --
main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
dshow error: capture device 'Elgato Video Capture' does not support required parameters !
dshow error: can't open video device
dshow error: can't use device: Elgato Video Capture, unsupported device type
dshow error: can't open audio device
dshow error: FATAL: could not open ANY device
dshow error: capture device 'Elgato Video Capture' does not support required parameters !
dshow error: can't use device: Elgato Video Capture, unsupported device type
dshow error: can't open audio device
-- logger module stopped --

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Open Capture Device - Elgato Video Capture

Postby Hitchhiker » 17 Apr 2021 13:15

Have you tried using Elgato support? They have a large dbase which you can peruse online. For example, this link explains how to use their software with VLC on Windows 10.

We can't do much with the info you've provided so far because we need a full log. Upload it to https://pastebin.com/ and then post the link to it here.

You can also copy / paste each result from the log into the Elgato search utility and see what the results are. For example, I copied this log file result which produces 367 results. "VLC capture device 'Elgato Video Capture' does not support required parameters".

Suggest you do something similar by narrowing the field down with what exactly it is that you want to do.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”