QuickTime HD and WMV HD audio channels are mixed up

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

QuickTime HD and WMV HD audio channels are mixed up

Postby Guest » 05 Jan 2006 23:01

QuickTime HD and WMV HD audio channels are mixed up.

How did I get to that conclusion? Well... I noticed that when playing QuickTime High Definition (h.264) trailers and WMV HD videos... when played with VLC... people talked in the back left channel instead in the front center one!

At first I though "that's odd..." and checked to see if that happened in their respective players (QuickTime and Windows Media Player 10) and in both of them all the talking was in the front center speaker. I tried BSPlayer and Media Player Classic and both of them have the 5.1 channels possitioned correctly too.

After that I checked other DivX, Xvid, DVD, etc videos that had 5.1 on VLC (0.8.4a) and the channels were working correctly so... that means that VLC is not working correctly only with those two types of HD formats.

I hope this info was of use.

Oh, and I have the "Force Dolby Surround" in Auto.

heffeque
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Win7-64

Postby heffeque » 05 Jan 2006 23:03

Darn, delete this one, I forgot to Log in. Answere in the other one, please :-)

viewtopic.php?t=15700
(.-=Kiwi=-.)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

QuickTime trailers

Postby DJ » 06 Jan 2006 21:26

I have looked for Multi Channel HD Trailers on QT's web site, haven't been able to find any. Run QT and check info, always says 2 channel.
Tried playing H.264 with AAC multi channel audio in QT and it doesn't work, plays video only. Web site says QT pro supports 20 some odd channels of sound, but I have not got it to play 5.1 in several tries with different files that should be compatible. Oddly enough these same files are being played and reported correctly in other programs. So this does seem to be a QT problem.

As for your problem! It sounds like you may have an up mixer that isn't preforming correctly.

This is kinda like WinDVD 7 that says it can play H.264 but crashes every time you try or gives you audio with a blue screen and then crashes. Seems that H.264 with AAC audio still has some compatibility problems between vendors. If the vendors are honest they will admit that it is a work in progress.

heffeque
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Win7-64

Postby heffeque » 06 Jan 2006 22:37

You don't seem to read, do you. ¬¬ :roll:

Go to the other post.
(.-=Kiwi=-.)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Jan 2006 23:38

You don't seem to read, do you. ¬¬ :roll:

Go to the other post.
No need to be rude here! I read just fine thank you! Perhaps you are not understanding what has been said! In other posts here it has been explained that AAC is broken in VLC and to the best of my knowledge QT doesn't play wmv or at least it doesn't for me. What does it do in WMP 9 or 10?? Do DVDs ac3 files play correctly in both VLC and WMP 9 or 10??

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”