Seriously, what possible reason is there to not have a dark mode on Windows Desktop?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DrCocktapus
New Cone
New Cone

Seriously, what possible reason is there to not have a dark mode on Windows Desktop?

Postby DrCocktapus » 29 Jan 2020 21:49

Every single website and app now seems to offer a dark mode, even the other versions of VLC, but not Windows Desktop, the original and most widely used version? Someone else on the forum even made that great looking mock-up of what it should look like, that's all I want, a version of VLC that isn't obnoxiously bright.

It just doesn't make sense. Its been mentioned that it was coming for a while now, but at this point I'm giving up on any hope of seeing it, because if it was coming, it would be here by now.

Now I'm just curious as to why it hasn't been implemented, surely it's not that hard to do since the Mac version has it, and surely a lot of people would make good use of it.

xprt007
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Seriously, what possible reason is there to not have a dark mode on Windows Desktop?

Postby xprt007 » 04 Feb 2020 16:28

I certainly support such a mode, or at least inbuilt alternative skins from VLC.
I have tried many different skins, but the problem is I have not found any that allows using all the features available in the default VLC skin. You find some for example you can only change size not from any player side, but only diagonally from one specific corner + lots of other disadvantages and missing features, which might not be immediately visible until you need them.

wadawada
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Seriously, what possible reason is there to not have a dark mode on Windows Desktop?

Postby wadawada » 09 Jun 2020 19:32

the new Media Player Classic has dark mode, and it can play pretty much everything vlc can play

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 10 Jun 2020 14:31

Hi, the skin interface provides this with limited features regarding the UI, but in a more general way we're rebuilding a new UI on VLC 4 especially to support this use case.

It's not hard on MacOSX because it's using native component there, which also mean this is a complete different code than the one on Windows.

I hasn't been implement in VLC 3.0 because, basically, it requires time and it seems no one from the community had time to work on this.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”