Playing Videos From External Drive

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
sndtubes
New Cone
New Cone

Playing Videos From External Drive

Postby sndtubes » 11 Oct 2019 17:11

Good News. I figured out how to play a video from an external drive without having to copy it into the VLC folder on the iPhone. Click on the file in question. Click on the Share symbol (folder with up arrow). Scroll the horizontal menu till you get to More. Click on More and then scroll down to Open In VLC. Click on that and the video will open in VLC without copying it to your phone. This is especially nice for videos that are in formats not recognized by the iPhone.

Essjay
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Playing Videos From External Drive

Postby Essjay » 17 Jun 2020 12:38

This is how I view my video files from an external drive as well, my only complaint is that I have many dash camera videos on the external drive, and I would like to have them play automatically one after the other which at the moment is not an option.
I know VideoLAN have been promising decent external drive access for some time now (ever since iOS13 was introduced some 9 months ago!), but I won’t be holding my breath as, for some reasons best known to themselves, it seems to be pretty low down on their priorities list!!!.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”