mediaplayer behaviour when setting A/B points using Python API

*nix specific usage questions
Coleslaw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

mediaplayer behaviour when setting A/B points using Python API

Postby Coleslaw » 09 Oct 2019 22:13

Hi,
When using the VLC executable that comes with the package, after hitting button to set 'B' and initiate loop playback the player immediately goes to the 'A' point and begins playback as expected.

However when doing the same in my python program using the vlc python api (vlc.py), the video immediately goes to the first frame of the video, then a split-second later goes to 'A' point and begins playback as expected.

I'd like to eliminate the jump to the first frame of the video as it's visually jarring.

I'm using PyQt4 and have borrowed from the 'qtlvc.py' example from [url]https://wiki.videolan.org/Python_bindings[/url]
In my modified OpenFile() function, I'm calling

Code: Select all

self.instance.media_new(*args)
where 'args' contains 'start-time','stop-time', and 'numrepeat' arguments. This works great. It's only the jump to the first frame that I'm trying to eliminate.

I suspect my issue is I'm recreating the mediaplayer (media_new) but I can't find any other way in the API to set the A/B points..
I know there's 'set_position()' etc,...but that doesn't seem to pertain to A/B looping,etc...(my OpenFile() function is listed below)

Is there another methodology or set of functions that I should be using to achieve this?
Thank you very much,
Cheers,

Code: Select all

def OpenFile(self, filename=None, startTime=None, stopTime=None, numRepeat=None): """Open a media file in a MediaPlayer""" if not filename: return # create the media if sys.version < '3': filename = unicode(filename) args = [] if filename: args.append(filename) if startTime: cmd = 'start-time=%s' % startTime args.append(cmd) if stopTime: cmd = 'stop-time=%s' % stopTime args.append(cmd) if numRepeat: cmd = 'input-repeat=%s' % numRepeat args.append(cmd) self.media = self.instance.media_new(*args) # put the media in the media player self.mediaplayer.set_media(self.media) # parse the metadata of the file self.media.parse() # set the title of the track as window title self.setWindowTitle(self.media.get_meta(0)) # set Audio to Mute #self.mediaplayer.audio_set_mute(True) # the media player has to be 'connected' to the QFrame # (otherwise a video would be displayed in it's own window) # this is platform specific! # you have to give the id of the QFrame (or similar object) to # vlc, different platforms have different functions for this if sys.platform.startswith('linux'): # for Linux using the X Server self.mediaplayer.set_xwindow(self.videoframe.winId()) elif sys.platform == "win32": # for Windows self.mediaplayer.set_hwnd(self.videoframe.winId()) elif sys.platform == "darwin": # for MacOS self.mediaplayer.set_nsobject(self.videoframe.winId()) self.PlayPause()

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”