VLC PLAYER AND YOUR PRIVACY

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
INSIDER

VLC PLAYER AND YOUR PRIVACY

Postby INSIDER » 16 Dec 2005 18:16

Seems that my question from last week is a difficult one!!! Which files have to be cleaned to ensure our privacy? Is no one concerned or is no one capable to answer ? :(

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 16 Dec 2005 19:21

what are you talking about ? VLC doesn't install any spy/add/whatever-ware
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

heffeque
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Win7-64

Postby heffeque » 16 Dec 2005 22:15

he probably has mental diarrhea.
(.-=Kiwi=-.)

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2005 16:45

No I'm talking about this: HOW SURE CAN I BE THAT THIS APP DOESN'T KEEP TRACK, BY MEANS OF A LOGFILE OR WHATEVER, WHAT I LOOKED AT !! And if it does keep track : how can I erase these traces?? Is it so far fetched ?Many cleaningapps do clean for instance Windows Mediaplayer ??? To me it seems logical that also VLC mediaplayer has files to be cleaned...

Instead of insulting people who are in need for help, you better answer the question or leave it to someone who knows what he is talking about.

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2005 18:44

Ehrm, is this fake? If you want to know if VLC is Spyware, get the source and read it. Tell me if you find something.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 19 Dec 2005 18:44

First of all: if anyone insults anyone here, then it's you who insults us. We are a free, open-source project which is open to anyone, clearly against any DRM (as you might have noticed by reading the mass-media) and any limitation or espionage of its users.
No I'm talking about this: HOW SURE CAN I BE THAT THIS APP DOESN'T KEEP TRACK, BY MEANS OF A LOGFILE OR WHATEVER, WHAT I LOOKED AT !!
You can easily do that by reading VLC's source-code. The only kind of "logging" VLC does, is the saving of the last 10 opened items for your personal convenience. This feature is implemented on Mac OS X only, not on Windows/Linux. Logging VLC's internal messages is implemented, but needs to be explicitly started by the user. This isn't and won't be enabled by default. Furthermore, this does only fetch information which is relevant to fix internal problems.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”