Does VLC player play Youtube live videos?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
xprt007
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Does VLC player play Youtube live videos?

Postby xprt007 » 08 Jun 2019 10:37

Hi there

I was pleased to learn the VLC player can, just by using a Youtube link play videos from that source.
I discovered the other day, though, that it could somehow not play the live feed from Sky UK live at [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrX6ktLg8WQ[/url] when I tried to watch Sky News covering the anti POTUS demo in London. Sky News is a major broadcaster in the UK. The player appears to try to connect, with the channel title momentarily appearing before it stops.
I tried this several times to no avail and so had to watch in the browser. If for some reason the link does not work, please get a fresh link with a Youtube search for => "Watch Sky News live".
I did not try out other live channels.
Is this expected behavior for live Youtube channels or there's something particular about this specific channel making the VLC not work?
If not ... could you please consider enabling the VLC to play such live channels?

I use the player on Windows PCs and not sure this applies to other systems.

Thank you and kind regards

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: Does VLC player play Youtube live videos?

Postby unidan » 08 Jun 2019 14:06

Hi,

VLC is able to play live stream but sometimes the script breaks against update of youtube website, because there is no official support in youtube for playing into external player.

corey
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby corey » 12 Jun 2019 02:35

Based on following quote it may be that google is attempting to block third party apps from using server intensive services and premium service fees circumvention. .

VLC would be the latter. and possibly the former

Google wants you to pay them or partner for a pro service and claim its a donation when its not. because you can't use it without paying them based on this linkhttps://videodroid.org/pro_upgrade.html which was pulled from youtube quote.

Quote: Youtube switched to separate audio/video streaming technology for higher quality formats and no longer provides direct 720p (Since 24 September 2018)/1080p/mp3 streams. Converting these streams to downloadable formats for you needs powerful server infrastructure, therefore 1080p/mp3 downloading has been limited to PRO users. Read more at - https://videodroid.org/pro_upgrade.html. FREE users can download all formats in CACHE where some PRO users fetched the video/audio in past 24 hours, to test the feature you can try downloading popular videos.

This may be the source of your issues.

I have noticed this problem first few days of june 2019

xprt007
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby xprt007 » 12 Jun 2019 11:23

Hi

Thank you both for confirming the problem and for explaining the possible cause.

Best regards

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”