total duration of all tracks in a directory

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
ahmetist
New Cone
New Cone

total duration of all tracks in a directory

Postby ahmetist » 21 Feb 2019 10:58

Hi there. How can i see the total duration of all tracks in a music directory without creating a playlist inside my android phone? Even freak windows does it that then i am sure that VLC already does it too.

kentfkruhoeffer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: NB 3.2.0
Operating System: Android 8.1

Re: total duration of all tracks in a directory

Postby kentfkruhoeffer » 22 Feb 2019 09:19

At the moment, as far as I know, VLC does not display the 'total duration' - or the 'total number' of tracks in the directory. It would be nice to have both of these features, I agree with you. VLC for video has come a long way over the years. For music, they are still working out bugs and making improvements. Let's put it on Santa's wish-list for a future update. I have (usually) been a good boy. :)
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

ahmetist
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ahmetist » 22 Feb 2019 11:24

haha it is ok. I would rather still VLC. it is the best for me

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 22 Feb 2019 17:46

Probably kind of linked to this ticket, if you want follow up: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... issues/513

You can try creating a new ticket, but please mention this one as it is linked :) it would help tracking.

kentfkruhoeffer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: NB 3.2.0
Operating System: Android 8.1

Postby kentfkruhoeffer » 22 Feb 2019 22:32

Hello, Bonjour, Salut!

Thank you for posting the link, unidan.

Here's a screenshot of my phone that shows more clearly what the OP is talking about. At the top, you can see the total number of tracks in my music folder [10,833] as well as the total duration of those tracks - in hours, minutes and seconds [749:40:23] i.e., 749 hours, 40 minutes and 23 seconds. Perhaps you could kindly forward this to the music developers when you have a spare moment?

Merci beaucoup! Rock on, dudes.

Kent F. Kruhoeffer

Dekans
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Dekans » 07 Mar 2019 18:05

Good idea, we just have to find out where to put this info in our current UI.

Crazed_by_Penguins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Crazed_by_Penguins » 07 Mar 2019 19:54

I think this is a great idea as well! As in the picture posted by kentfkruhoeffer, my thought is that it should be near the top, so it's close to the "action" buttons (play, add to playlist, etc).

Also (since I didn't see this anywhere else in the thread), when songs are selected I think it should display the count and playtime of just those songs, probably preceding it with "Total:" or "Selected:" depending on the context. (Although thinking about this from a performance perspective, it would be easy to calculate the total count and time once during media scanning and simply store and display it, while with the selected songs the playtime would have to be calculated on the spot. So, I guess it would depend on if it would cause a noticeable slowdown.)

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”