Playback Issues on MKV 4K x265 videos

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
NameBrandHipster
New Cone
New Cone

Playback Issues on MKV 4K x265 videos

Postby NameBrandHipster » 22 Aug 2018 07:07

So, I recently downloaded a three hour 4k video, and VLC would crash or freeze when trying to play it. I messed around with settings, and got it to the point where I now have about 5 - 10 frames per seccond, without crashing, but still not desirable at all. (Plus accessing menus in VLC while it's playing takes ten minutes)

I've heard a lot of people say this comes down to your computer's capabilities.
Well for 1: 4k videos play fine in DivX, and 2: I'm also running an Alienware 13, for whatever that's worth.

So, assuming that DivX isn't pulling some quality skimping shenanigans, I'm positive that my computer is fully capable of playing 4k videos.

Sure I can use DivX, but I'd really rather use VLC, because it's VLC and it's just better in every way, accept apparently 4k videos.

I've heard people say "do" and "don't" use hardware acceleration. I've found that using DirectX and disabling direct rendering, give me the best results (along with several other settings)

So, I guess my questions are,

Is it my computer? (Is DivX giving me false 4k?)
Or is it VLC itself? (and is there a fix? or is this just an undeveloped feature of VLC?)

PS: I tried a sample 4k mp4 video, and it plays just fine.

mfkl
Developer
Developer

Re: Playback Issues on MKV 4K x265 videos

Postby mfkl » 22 Aug 2018 09:55

Hi,

Can you share the VLC version you're using, as well as your graphic card model and vlc logs?
https://mfkl.github.io

NameBrandHipster
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Playback Issues on MKV 4K x265 videos

Postby NameBrandHipster » 22 Aug 2018 16:58

Version: 3.0.3 x32
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

I'm not sure what you mean by vlc logs. I looked for a log file, and didn't find any.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”