Grey pixelated Screen Problem, but only on the laptop

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MatteoBenati
New Cone
New Cone

Grey pixelated Screen Problem, but only on the laptop

Postby MatteoBenati » 28 Jun 2017 13:03

Hi guys,
I have downloaded two seasons of the same TV series on my home computer. The two seasons come from different sources, but I'll provide all the informations I know about them.

For Season 1, all episodes are BluRay.1080p.HEVC.DD5.1.x265.mkv files.
For Season 2, I only know that they are .mkv files, and considering that they weigh about 300MB for 50 minutes per episode, I suppose they're not 1080p.

Now, on both my home computer and my laptop I have the VLC's latest version (2.2.6), and none of the program's settings have been changed. The files have been stored in my Hard Disk, along with a hundreds of other movies/TV series. On my home computer everything works just fine. The problem is that on my laptop there is an awful lag for all episodes from both seasons. If I play the files on WMP, they work perfectly, but with VLC there is an unbelievable grey pixelated screen that never stops. Every other file works perfectly, the only problem comes from these 2 seasons. But I want to stress the fact that they are not from the same sources.
I've tried to change the settings of VLC like all forums suggest, but nothing has changed. I have supposed that my laptop was not good enough, but in this case the same problem would happen with all the other movies, that weigh even more. I don't think that the files have any damage, because otherwise they would show their problems on WMP too.

Therefore I don't understand what the problem could be. I'm sorry if my english isn't perfect but I hope my problem is clear. If my post presents any kind of mistakes I'm also sorry, but I'm new on the forum.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Grey pixelated Screen Problem, but only on the laptop

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Jun 2017 08:36

Try another video output module:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2.0 ... _output.3F

And/or disable/enable GPU acceleration:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2.0 ... age_errors

You can also try to enable or disable some video options such as Overlay and/or Hardware YUV -> RGB conversions.

If none of the above works, then it might be a driver issue.

thesandvolcano
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Grey pixelated Screen Problem, but only on the laptop

Postby thesandvolcano » 04 Jul 2017 17:25

This sounds a likely candidate for being a power management issue. Laptops typically come preconfigured with more aggressive power management. You can easily determine this my installing some free RamDisk software (I use ImDisk), copy a known problematic media file into ram and then open it with VLC. If it plays fine, then you are likely affected by the AHCI power management features HIPM & DIPM. Please see this post https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=60 for some potential solutions to HIPM/DIPM.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”