Slow response When Jump Forward or Back

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
starvinmarvin
New Cone
New Cone

Slow response When Jump Forward or Back

Postby starvinmarvin » 06 Dec 2016 04:17

When we use VLC to play our recorded TV shows there is an annoying delay when we jump forward or back more than one increment of time (10, 20, 60 or 180 seconds). We use the usual keyboard keys shift + r or l-arrow, alt + r or l-arrow. ctrl + r or l-arrow, etc.

For example, we can skip 60 seconds ahead by pressing ctrl + r-arrow and the player jumps ahead quickly. But, if we tap those same keys again right away or a couple of seconds later then there is an almost 10-second delay before the player jumps ahead and continues playing. Same result if we ask it to jump a shorter or longer interval ahead or back. I repeat, it's not the first jump interval that has a long delay it's the second or third jump IF they are requested quickly after the first jump. Even if the second jump command is for a 10-second jump there is still an almost 10 second delay!

Recording and playback are done on a home-built HTPC with Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5-4590 quad-core cpu / 16GB RAM / nVidia graphics card.
The delays occur whether we record the TV shows on a dedicated Seagate DVR-type hard drive, or a WD hard drive or a Sandisk SSD. We've tried all three drives and the delayed response still happens regardless of the drive in use.

Now, here's an important detail. When we play any recorded TV show on a different computer over our Windows home network there are no delays when jumping ahead or back. You read that right. Whether we access the recorded TV shows over wi-fi, ethernet or powerline adapters the other computers in the house can use VLC and skip ahead or back WITHOUT DELAY. How weird is that?

Can anyone tell me how to fix this annoying delayed response when jumping ahead or back? Our HTPC in the living room is definitely the preferred location for us to record and store TV shows and play them back on our plasma TV. VLC is the preferred media player because it has an equalizer which allows some boosted frequencies for extra clarity on dialog, etc.

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: v3.0.6 Portable
Operating System: Win7 (unfortunately)

Re: Slow response When Jump Forward or Back

Postby videobruce » 06 Dec 2016 14:38

I get a delay when I jump forward (or back) either with the navigation button or by using the slider, between 3 & 7 or so seconds. Using Light Alloy Player, there is no delay.
Really annoying. Input anyone, why is this happening??

RAKooistra
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Slow response When Jump Forward or Back

Postby RAKooistra » 06 Dec 2016 23:09

I am experiencing this problem on the system that is running WMC to make the WTV recordings (using Ceton InfiniTV 6). Resource Monitor shows that while VLC is moving to the new position in the file the "ehrecvr.exe" process has CPU activity. I don't know these points are relevant but it was something I noted.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”