Android TV: Play video file from smb share with VLC

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
pjaaar
New Cone
New Cone

Android TV: Play video file from smb share with VLC

Postby pjaaar » 23 Nov 2016 09:07

Hello everyone

I apologize in advance, I post here because the topics under development do not really mention Android TV ... I also posted in https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-android/issues

I would like to send an Intent to VLC to play a video from a smb share. With this code I got an ActivityNotFoundException

Code: Select all

Intent i = new Intent(android.content.Intent.ACTION_VIEW); i.setData(Uri.parse(pPath)); App.GetContext().Activity.startActivity(i);
With this code, from https://wiki.videolan.org/Android_Player_Intents/, I'm able to launch VLC, I can see the VLC controls, the video title, but apparently the video has no length or something else but I'm not able to play the video file.

Code: Select all

Uri path = Uri.parse(pPath); Intent i = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW); i.setComponent(new ComponentName("org.videolan.vlc", "org.videolan.vlc.gui.video.VideoPlayerActivity")); i.setData(path); App.GetContext().Activity.startActivity(i);
If I play the video file, from the VLC browser directly, still from the smb share, I can play it obviously AND the path is strictly the same (smb://my_share/.../video.mkv)

WinfridT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Android TV: Play video file from smb share with VLC

Postby WinfridT » 05 Dec 2016 09:40

Did you try to install ES File Explorer ?
You are able to mount your windows files systems in android TV
If you select a video file you are offered to play your video
with the ES Media Player, Video and vlc.

But ...
If you connect an USB-device to your TV, ES tries to mount this device -
this maybe sometimes much better than the solution provided by the manufacture of your TV.
There is just a problem with pictures -
you can only view your pictures with the ES Image Viewer, and the ES Image Viewer does not care about the EXIF information of your pictures.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”