nonzyro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Debian Linux

rc interface problem: "faster" and "slower" not working

Postby nonzyro » 27 Sep 2016 15:14

Okay:
1. I know I shouldn't post bugs here but it was difficult enough registering and logging in (I have to use TOR because my IP has *allegedly* been blocked, though I've never used the forum in my life).
2. I just wrote a lengthy post which was lost because I go prompted to login again. I was *already* logged in. Therefor excuse the terseness of this post.
3. Please do not think I don't appreciate what the developers of VLC Player do. I'm grateful for all their hard work and I love VLC Player, in spite of the fact that VideoLan's ability to engage with the public is lacking at best.

Problem: Pretty much what the title suggests:

Code: Select all

vlc --extraintf rc --rc-host localhost:1234 Starts fine. Then: echo pause | telnet localhost 1234 Works. However: echo slower | telnet localhost 1234 Does not. Going to the GUI, I set the speed slower and it works. Then open a console and: echo normal | telnet localhost 1234 Works too. Playback speed goes back to normal. Only "slower" and "faster" fail.
Go figure.

Here's the relevant info:

VLC version 2.2.4 Weatherwax (2.2.3-37-g888b7e89) Compiled by sebastian on rigel (Jun 5 2016 15:54:01) Compiler: gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10) OS: Debian Jessie
My guess is a few missing line of code or lines that were left commented out from a time when things were being tested.
64bit: Debian 8 / VLC 2.2.4 / 4GB RAM / i5 430M / 512MB VRAM / Radeon HD5470

One time Randy's mom grew her nails really long and then she got an iPhone, but she couldn't use it so she had to have her nails cut but they had to use a chainsaw and they accidentally cut off her fingers and they sowed them back on backwards by accident and now her hands look weird and that's my 400 character limit

nonzyro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Debian Linux

Re: rc interface problem: "faster" and "slower" not working

Postby nonzyro » 12 Oct 2016 15:41

SOLVED: echo "rate d" where d is a double (decimal number 1.0 = normal, 0.5 = half, 2.0 = 2x). This is NOT properly documented and I had to, pardon the pun, go through dubious *sources* (just kidding).

Anyway, here's an example:

echo "rate 0.5" | telnet localhost 1234
Please can someone modify the rc module to reflect this at some point in the next year or so.
64bit: Debian 8 / VLC 2.2.4 / 4GB RAM / i5 430M / 512MB VRAM / Radeon HD5470

One time Randy's mom grew her nails really long and then she got an iPhone, but she couldn't use it so she had to have her nails cut but they had to use a chainsaw and they accidentally cut off her fingers and they sowed them back on backwards by accident and now her hands look weird and that's my 400 character limit

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”