VLC not playing DVD

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mechkween
New Cone
New Cone

VLC not playing DVD

Postby mechkween » 24 Aug 2016 14:48

Hi guys,

This issue has been covered before but I can't seem to find right solution for this problem. I've re installed VLC on Windows 10 (recently upgraded).
I have tried autoplay and also the Media -> Open Disc. The DVD drive seems to speed up and the player shows the total time of the disc momentarily after which nothing happens (the time for the disc turns to --:--). I don't receive any error messages either so it is really bugging me.
Would appreciate you help.

Thanks!

WinfridT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC not playing DVD

Postby WinfridT » 27 Aug 2016 11:37

Hi,

which version of vlc-2.2.4 you are using, on Windows 10 (x64) you have the choice to install 32-bit/64-bit version of vlc.
Next question - is it a commercial DVD, this is probably protected.
Did you try to open the DVD with the Windows Explorer ? If you succeed - you should see 2 directories : AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
open VIDEO_TS and try to play one of the *.VOB files ( size should be around 1 GB )

I am using vlc-2.2.4-bluray_x64.zip - for more details read http://www.labdv.com/aacs/
and I have also installed DVDFab Passkey Lite

W.

mechkween
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mechkween » 06 Sep 2016 14:30

Hi,

I seem to have installed directly from the VLC website without checking. It is a 32 bit version. Is it a problem on my system?
The DVDs are all commercial (movies). Yes, I can open the DVD in Explorer and see the two folders you mention. None of the .vob files opens. I get a message of a Bad File Descriptor.
Should I install a 64 bit version or download the version you've provided?

Thanks!

EXSUDBURY
New Cone
New Cone

Postby EXSUDBURY » 09 Sep 2016 19:44

Having problems playing DVD's I followed several recommendations and installed VLC Media player but to no avail. Having read the instructions, I clicked on media and then Open Disk and Open media. Using D drive and Browse it only listed This PC and Documents and they bear no relation to what is on the DVD. So much for a recommended product.

WinfridT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby WinfridT » 17 Sep 2016 21:44

Sorry to answer so late (I was on holiday without internet access) -
did you really install the vlc version I suggested from https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdx/f ... p/download ?

In my case I can play a commercial DVD without problems (DVD opened with vlc option "open media", currently I don't have DVDFab Passkey Lite installed. If you still have problems you should read http://www.dvdfab.cn/passkey-lite.htm and install this product.

PS: "Did you try to open the DVD with the Windows Explorer ? If you succeed - you should see 2 directories : AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
open VIDEO_TS and try to play one of the *.VOB files ( size should be around 1 GB )"
This should only show if the DVD is protected (you might see the *.vob files in VIDEO_TS - but you can't play those.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”