Some Do, Some Don't...

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Denon Marantz
New Cone
New Cone

Some Do, Some Don't...

Postby Denon Marantz » 04 Apr 2016 19:53

I have used VLC for some years and have always found it a brilliant piece of software, but I am having trouble with Blu Ray playback.

I have VLC 2.2.2, running under Windows 7, on a PC (I7 3770k / 8Gb ram / AMD 7850 GPU )

I have installed KEYDB.cfg and libaacs.dll files as advised in the "Blu Ray support" thread.

Some Blu Rays play... No trouble with say, "Elysium", and "Interstellar".

Some Blu Rays don't, e.g. "Total Recall" (2012 Colin Farrell version), "Cloud Atlas"(2012), "Ex Machina"(2015), "Jupiter Ascending"(2015)...

and when they don't it usually says "no valid processing key in AACS config file".

Now if you go to http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ and open the file, KEYDB.cfg you can manually search it and I have found different problems in different cases. For example: "Total Recall" (2012 Colin Farrell version) has several listings, but still doesn't play whereas "Cloud Atlas" has no listing at all, so does that explain why it doesn't play? Or is there some other problem?
"Ex Machina" is listed but with a different suffix, in the cfg file as EX_MACHINA_UPB1 but is Identified by VLC as EX_MACHINA_UPB7 so that might explain it, but "Jupiter Ascending" is listed exactly as VLC identifies it JUPITER_ASCENDING and still is not recognised.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does the key database need refreshing, or what?

I see from the length of the Blu Ray Support thread that this is an ongoing problem.

Love DM

Mauser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.2
Operating System: Windoze

Re: Some Do, Some Don't...

Postby Mauser » 15 Apr 2016 17:59

I do not know where you are, but perhaps it is the region code? Default Blu-ray region set in VLC is "B", which is Europe. Americas is "A". Most Blu-ray do not have region codes, but maybe those do?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”