Atalanttore
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.x
Operating System: Kubuntu

VLC cannot open files on SMB shares when running in LXQt

Postby Atalanttore » 25 Dec 2015 16:33

Hi,

VLC 2.2.0 is unable to open files on SMB shares when running in a LXQt 0.10 desktop environment. There are no such problems when running in KDE 5.

I've already reported this problem half a year ago as a bug, but got no response.

Regards,
Ettore

spzeke
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC cannot open files on SMB shares when running in LXQt

Postby spzeke » 08 Jan 2016 14:37

I'm having the same problem with OpenSUSE Leap42.1 and OpenSUSE 13.2. Both are KDE. The msg I get is: "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'smb://......"

If I reinstall VLC it will work OK once and then it's back to the above message.

I have tried the "Tools>Preferences>click All button>Input /Codecs> Access Modules>SMB and filled out the info. This worked the first time, but failed again.

I have tried this in Ubuntu 12.04 and all is well.

This seems to point to a problem with OpenSUSE KDE.

Bummer. I will now go to the OpenSUSE Forums and report.

spzeke
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC cannot open files on SMB shares when running in LXQt

Postby spzeke » 09 Jan 2016 11:05

Ah! I think I have found the problem. I will check further, but with OpenSUSE it seems that if you are on your local network using samba and you want to access a video on one of your other machines (i.e. wife's MS Windows) via samba you must set the VLC Input Modules > SMB with that machine's samba login code and user name.

And in my case, I have another machine which is my home file server for backups, and I then have to change the VLC Input Modules >SMB to reflect that machine's samba login code and user name.

Hope this helps.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”