Deleting videos from SD card

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Tearon
New Cone
New Cone

Deleting videos from SD card

Postby Tearon » 20 Oct 2015 18:23

I've been using VLC from since it came up for Android and until I upgraded my phone, everything was great. But since I'm not using andoid 4.2.2 anymore and I switched to 5.1, my VLC can't delete files from my SD card and just removes it from my library (and after next start of VLC, I have those videos in a library again). Could you please add a permission WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE into VLC? It's really annoying without it :roll:

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Deleting videos from SD card

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Oct 2015 19:11

Yes. You cannot, because Google decided apps should not be allowed to delete files, without a very complex system. Use your file explorer.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Ville79
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ville79 » 19 Oct 2016 16:55

Hi, 

Really love the app. Is it not possible to give the app full access to the sdcard using the "new storage framework" ? 

Really would like to to be able to delete files after watching them. Now i have to open WS file Explorer to delete them. It has the right permissions.

Device Model: samsung SM-G930F
Android OS: 6.0.1

/ regards Victor Lombard 

hujic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hujic » 06 Dec 2017 18:28

Yes. You cannot, because Google decided apps should not be allowed to delete files, without a very complex system. Use your file explorer.

For example, MX Player deletes files from SD Card without any problems. Why do not add a delete capability to VLC?

Android 5.0

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”