Picture gradually pixilates then suddenly rectifies itself.

macOS specific usage questions
kings123
New Cone
New Cone

Picture gradually pixilates then suddenly rectifies itself.

Postby kings123 » 09 Mar 2015 23:38

Hi there, this is my first post on this forum so be gentle. I am by no means clued up with this kinda thing so please forgive my ignorance. I'm sure there's a simple setting that needs to be changed but I have no idea what it might be. My problem is that as I watch a movie (I don't think format has anything to do with it) the picture progressively deteriorates and pixilates over the space of say 5-8 seconds then suddenly snaps back to being at it's optimal resolution. It does this on loop for the entire duration of the movie. I have searched online but have found no answers to this problem.

Any ideas as to what I need to do? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

scheperell
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Picture gradually pixilates then suddenly rectifies itself.

Postby scheperell » 10 Mar 2015 01:46

Have you looked at this thread (https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=117809? It is a long one, but there might be some similarity to your problem?

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 10 Mar 2015 03:31

That effect can be seen on very poorly encoded videos. It cleans up when it reaches a keyframe.

Assuming that the video looks fine for others, maybe check Preferences -> Show All -> Input / Codecs -> Video Codecs -> FFMpeg and see if "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding" is set to "None". If not, change it and see if it as an affect upon restarting the video.

kings123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kings123 » 10 Mar 2015 20:30

Thanks for you response. Yea it was already set to None. I know the videos are fine for other people as they have said so online in the comments. Any other ideas?

Thanks

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 12 Mar 2015 07:11

Maybe try clicking "Reset All" in preferences. Save and Restart VLC and see if it acts any different.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”