Implementation of UPnP& Dlna features

Feature requests for VLC.
magowiz
New Cone
New Cone

Implementation of UPnP& Dlna features

Postby magowiz » 09 Nov 2014 16:45

Hello everybody!

I keep checking every some months on Videolan's forums to see if the issue of developing UPNP render-server-controlpoint modules for VLC is addressed. (For those who don't know: VLC can currently access contents offered by a UPnP DLNA media server, but not operate as DLNA compliant renderer, or control point, or server itself).

In several posts it has been answered that the effort to develop DLNA modules for VLC would be high (I understand that means: too high, compared to the need). I am so much surprised that Videolan team don't consider this development important urgent enough todeserve attention. In fact, almost all TVs and Audio Hifi systems being sold at least since 2012 are UPNP DLNA compliant; Apple's iOs has rearranged audio/video remote play features around the Upnp Dlna protocol (with AirPlay and its related features); any android tablet or phone has Upnp Dlna built in, and Samsung and Sony turned to DLNA to stream video in home systems and between devices (plus, there are dozens of apps in Android that offer DLNA features, most of which, on a commercial basis!). There are at least 4-6 major multiplatform projects that offer home and on-the-go multimedia solutions based on UPNP Dlna (like XBMC, Plex, Lynn, not to mention WMP itself). And DLNA is the standard even Microsoft has chosen to develop media services over local and wide area networks. Last but not least: go buy any home teather or Home Hifi audio system or even just amplifier today and find out that whatever you pick from Samsung, Pioneer, Sony, Bose, B&O or Toshiba, they all offer DLNA compliance on every piece of iron that can hook up on a LAN cable or WiFi service.

Go back to your PC and spend 10 minutes browsing the web on the subject, and you'll find out that there are hundreds of posts asking how to use VLC with DLNA streaming from phones, iphone, tablets and TVs. And many people wonder why VLC can't be used as a UPNP DLNA renderer, to say the least. Or, to stream to a DLNA device; or, be operated remotely from android or i-phone. (I understand that DLNA server functions may appear non critical, since there are so many excellent servers around now, and organizing contents is really something very much distant from VLC's own and best appreciated features).

All this considered, it looks so suprising that people at Videolan still don't address the UPNP DLNA development issue. Why is that? Are so many of us users missing something so huge? How do Videolan developers see the role of VLC in the forthcoming hardware-software interconnection arena without DLNA compliance?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”