VLC starts for no reason

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
beep
New Cone
New Cone

VLC starts for no reason

Postby beep » 26 Jun 2014 20:04

Very odd. I have VLC 2.1.3 running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. For unknown reasons it will at odd, random times begin playing music. Not often, thankfully. I've cleared the playlist, but this hasn't helped. Even more weird, the song it picks isn't even on the 'recent' menu. This is a fairly new installation of 7 as I just upgraded it to 64 bit in the past couple of months. Any ideas :?: I've never run into this problem before.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Re: VLC starts for no reason

Postby CloudStalker » 27 Jun 2014 04:59

Hmm....
  • Does it play the same song every time or different songs?
  • Do you have any songs or shortcuts to songs on your desktop?
Usually shortcuts on the desktop can have hotkeys applied to them; pressing that key will load the item in its default application.

beep
New Cone
New Cone

Postby beep » 27 Jun 2014 20:13

Same song and no, no shortcuts to any songs at all. I don't like to clutter my desktop and almost never create any kind of extra shortcuts; I know precisely where everything I might want is. In fact, this just happened again after the machine had been idle for over 10 hours. This could actually make a nifty alarm clock if I could figure out what is going on and harness it :) Strangely, there was also a paused vid open in VCL and a new instance of it opened for the song. This is an annoyance rather than a problem, but it is a fascinatingly weird and random one.

beep
New Cone
New Cone

Postby beep » 28 Jun 2014 20:41

Still happening. Am adding a '_' to the file the song is under to try and confuse VLC or whatever is causing this behavior. Still, rather fascinated by this oddness as it just happened again, this time as the machine was waking from a sleep state.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”